PostgreSQL at CeBIT?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
I was approached by a company that provides free of charge presentation
space for free software projects on the CeBIT computer fair.  Apparently,
they also organize a forum for discussions or presentations.  Any thoughts
on that?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL at CeBIT?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I was approached by a company that provides free of charge presentation
> space for free software projects on the CeBIT computer fair.  Apparently,
> they also organize a forum for discussions or presentations.  Any thoughts
> on that?

Hi Peter,

This sounds very interesting, not only to us but also to many other
large Open Source projects.

Any idea on what kind of or how much presentation space, or any other
details?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL at CeBIT?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Justin Clift writes:

> Any idea on what kind of or how much presentation space, or any other
> details?

Well, if we have "general interest", then they will send me more
information.

Judging from the CeBIT I attended two years ago, it will probably not be
much more than a table within a larger stand/area organized and decorated
by the sponsor.

The real question is whether anyone would want to come and participate in
the organization of this thing.  I could do it, but not the whole week all
alone.

Btw., I know there are other exposition and conference type events where
free software projects can get presentation space, but in the past this
has mostly failed to materialize for us because of the lack of manpower,
and secondarily because of the lack of a project concept for such things.

--

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Justin Clift writes:
>

>>Any idea on what kind of or how much presentation space, or any other
>>details?
>

> Well, if we have "general interest", then they will send me more
> information.

Yep, we can definitely say we have "general interest".  Would also like
to pass the info on to some other main Open Source projects too, as
they'd likely be interested as well.

> Judging from the CeBIT I attended two years ago, it will probably not be
> much more than a table within a larger stand/area organized and decorated
> by the sponsor.

Ok, sounds pretty cut back, but it also sounds better than nothing.  We
might be able to achieve a stronger presence by having several large
Open Source projects involved all together too.

> The real question is whether anyone would want to come and participate in
> the organization of this thing.  I could do it, but not the whole week all
> alone.

Good point.  Lets get some more details from them, and then see if we we
can raise the level of interest around the place.  There is a pretty
well established PostgreSQL presence in Germany, so it should be
possible to have a few people there.

> Btw., I know there are other exposition and conference type events where
> free software projects can get presentation space, but in the past this
> has mostly failed to materialize for us because of the lack of manpower,
> and secondarily because of the lack of a project concept for such things.

Totally agreed.  However, "Open Source" has become a media buzzword now,
so we might be able to leverage from that to further interest.

It's probably worth a shot.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift