Praise from Bloomberg

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Folks,

Thought that people should see this article:

http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=Top%20Financial%20News&s1=blk&tp=ad_topright_topfin&T=markets_box.ht&s2=ad_right1_topfin&bt=ad_position1_topfin&box=ad_box_all&tag=financial&middle=ad_frame2_topfin&s=APa7xmhVhTWljcm9z
(yeah, awful URL)

I particularly like this part:

``The advantage of open source is pretty hard to match,'' said Ram
Mohan, chief technology officer at Afilias Ltd., which uses the free
Postgres database to store and manage 3.5 million Internet addresses.
``Microsoft makes awesome products, but they're not aimed at my
specific needs.''

Mohan, seeking a cheaper alternative to the Sun Microsystems Inc.
Unix-based gear he uses now, says he'll probably switch to Linux
because he likes the flexibility. He overhauled Postgres with new
features last year.

-Josh Berkus

Re: Praise from Bloomberg

From
Neil Conway
Date:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> ``The advantage of open source is pretty hard to match,'' said Ram
> Mohan, chief technology officer at Afilias Ltd., which uses the free
> Postgres database to store and manage 3.5 million Internet
> addresses.

Very cool! Thanks for the link, Josh.

Not to further kick a dead horse, but this is more anecdotal evidence
that our name is not helping us with product recognition...

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Praise from Bloomberg

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Neil,

> Not to further kick a dead horse, but this is more anecdotal evidence
> that our name is not helping us with product recognition...

I don't think that's worth worrying about.   I was Marketing Lead for
OpenOffice.org for a year, during which we were called "Open Office" in
the press about 1600 times.   Ultimately, any name is what you make of
it.  I don't mind reporters calling us "Postgres", or even "Postgre",
as long as they do it frequently. <grin>

-Josh

Re: Praise from Bloomberg

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 12:52:08AM -0400, Neil Conway wrote:
> Not to further kick a dead horse, but this is more anecdotal evidence
> that our name is not helping us with product recognition...

Not necessarily; that could be what Ram (Mohan, my boss' boss) said.
We say "Postgres" much more often than "PostgreSQL" when we talk
around here.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110