restoring from a dump

From
"J Rouse"
Date:
Stupid person here.  Just got PostgresSQL today.  Have text dump file.  Need
to restore.

I think I need to use psql, but do not even know how to get to it.  Need
exact instructions on where to enter the command line, setting up paths if
necessary, etc.

Jim

Re: restoring from a dump

From
CS DBA
Date:
On 1/5/13 1:54 PM, J Rouse wrote:
> Stupid person here.  Just got PostgresSQL today.  Have text dump
> file.  Need to restore.
>
> I think I need to use psql, but do not even know how to get to it.
> Need exact instructions on where to enter the command line, setting up
> paths if necessary, etc.
>
> Jim

to restore from a text (sql) file:

1) ensure you have a target database:
- you might need to set your path, i.e. you need to know where psql is
- if you did an rpm / package install it's probably in /usr/bin

# connect to the cluster (database instance):
$ psql

# then create your target database:
postgres# create database my_target_db;

Then exit from psql (exit; or ctl-d)
postgres# exit;

2) import the sql text file

- cd to the directory where the text file is:
$ cd /home/postgres/Downloads

- Import the file
$ psql  -ef   ./import_file.sql   my_target_db

You could also point to the sql file without being in the directory:
$ psql  -ef   /home/postgres/Downloads/import_file.sql my_target_db

Note the -f is the psql flag to import (or run) a specified sql file
from the command line, the -e flag says to push all SQL statements as
well as normal output to STDOUT

See the psql command docs for more info here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/app-psql.html

Hope this helps,

/Kevin

Re: restoring from a dump

From
"Burgholzer, Robert (DEQ)"
Date:
The other quick item to consider is whether or not your database is on a *nix system or a windows machine, and if your
workstationis *nix or windows.

Cases/suggestions:
1. Windows workstation / *nix DB Server: use putty.exe to ssh into the DB server (a second option would be to use
PGAdmin,a GUI db management package for PostgreSQL)
2. Windows workstation / Windows DB Server: use CMD.com and enter psql command line (may have to add "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQLX.YY/bin"to your PATH).  Could also use PGAdmin in this case
3. *nix client / *nix server: command line psql (ssh to server if not the same as your workstation)