virtual ip's for Pg host

From
Isabella Ghiurea
Date:
Hi All
we would like to implement a virtual  ip for two of our  of our PG db
hosts to help us with switching hosts with less downtime for clients, is
there  any specific change need to be done  on PG database hosts
configuration , I was thinking  maybe  pg_hba.conf file  ?
Thank you
Isabella

Isabella A. Ghiurea

Isabella.Ghiurea@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre |http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/services/hia/data-centre.html
National Research Council of Canada, Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics
5071 West Saanich Road, Victoria BC V9E 2E7, Canada
Phone: 250 363-3446 fax: 250 363-0045

Re: virtual ip's for Pg host

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
  Hello Isabella,

Il 15/10/10 23:19, Isabella Ghiurea ha scritto:
 > we would like to implement a virtual  ip for two of our  of our PG db
 > hosts to help us with switching hosts with less downtime for clients,
 > is there  any specific change need to be done  on PG database hosts
 > configuration , I was thinking  maybe  pg_hba.conf file  ?

That should not be an issue for pg_hba.conf - although you must make
sure that requests coming from your virtual LAN are allowed.

On the other hand, the main configuration option you should properly set
is 'listen_addresses', which specifies on which interfaces/IP addresses
PostgreSQL is listening for incoming requests
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-connection.html).

I hope this helps.

Ciao,
Gabriele