newer release branch

From
Marc Fromm

I was checking the details to an update to postgresql 8.1 and the following message was on the release notes page:

“The PostgreSQL community will stop releasing updates for the 8.1.X release series in November 2010. Users are encouraged to update to a newer release branch soon.”

There were no links or other helpful information provided. Has anyone upgraded from 8.1 to the latest version 9.0.1? Can you  do it in one jump?

Can it be done using yum on a RHEL server?

Thanks

Marc

Re: newer release branch

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Marc Fromm <Marc.Fromm@wwu.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone upgraded from 8.1 to the latest version 9.0.1? Can you
> do it in one jump?

I would expect it to work if you use pg_dump from the newer version
against the old database.  The biggest compatibility issue is
probably going to be that in 8.3 some automatic casts to and from
text were eliminated.  You would definitely want to do a preliminary
conversion and test your applications before doing the final
conversion.

> Can it be done using yum on a RHEL server?

You will probably need both 8.1 and 9.0 installed at the same time.
I don't know if yum will overwrite the old version or put the new
one in its own location without disturbing the old one.

-Kevin

Re: newer release branch

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 10:57 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> > Can it be done using yum on a RHEL server?
>
> You will probably need both 8.1 and 9.0 installed at the same time.
> I don't know if yum will overwrite the old version or put the new
> one in its own location without disturbing the old one.

9.0 can be installed in parallel with yum, however still a dump/restore
or replication/failover type thing is needed, since 8.1 is not supported
by pg_upgrade.

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Prepared statement and pgbouncer

From
Palaniappan Thiyagarajan

All,

We are experiencing prepared statement error in our application using pgbouncer/PostgreSQL 8.3

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: prepared statement "S_1"
already exists
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1525)
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1309)
at

We don’t want to touch anything on application and we would like to overcome this issue by tuning pgbouncer or postgres.

Any pointer to this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Palani

Re: Prepared statement and pgbouncer

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
Palaniappan Thiyagarajan <pthiyagarajan@cashedge.com> wrote:

> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException:
> ERROR: prepared statement "S_1" already exists

http://pgbouncer.projects.postgresql.org/doc/faq.html#toc3

-Kevin

Re: newer release branch

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
2010/10/6 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 10:57 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>>
>> > Can it be done using yum on a RHEL server?
>>
>> You will probably need both 8.1 and 9.0 installed at the same time.
>> I don't know if yum will overwrite the old version or put the new
>> one in its own location without disturbing the old one.
>
> 9.0 can be installed in parallel with yum, however still a dump/restore
> or replication/failover type thing is needed, since 8.1 is not supported
> by pg_upgrade.

Really?  I've gotten apt based systems to run > 1 pg versions with
packages, but never rpm based.  Especially not Centos or RHEL.  Has
Fedora / yum started aachieved that?

I'd build a test server running 9.0.1 and test backing up from 8.0.x
and restoring to 9.0.1 before I did anything else, and then see how my
app worked.

Look out for missing type conversions.

Re: newer release branch

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Marc Fromm wrote:

> There were no links or other helpful information provided. Has anyone
> upgraded from 8.1 to the latest version 9.0.1? Can you  do it in one jump?
>
> Can it be done using yum on a RHEL server?

As of RHEL 5.5, there is now an official postgresql84 package you can
easily load.  What I would do in your situation is target upgrading from
8.1 to 8.4 initially, via the dump/reload method, with the main expected
problem being the type case changes already mentioned.  I've saved a
number of good links on this general topic onto
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Version_History that should provide some
additional guidance if you read through them a bit.

By the time you get that done, 9.0 should be a better tested and stable
release, and you can do a quick binary upgrade from 8.4 to 9.0 using the
pg_upgrade utility.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us

Re: newer release branch

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/devrim/index.php?/archives/48-What-is-new-in-PostgreSQL-9.0-RPMs.html

Date:
2010/10/6 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 16:02 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
>> > 9.0 can be installed in parallel with yum, however still a
>> > dump/restore or replication/failover type thing is needed, since 8.1
>> > is not supported by pg_upgrade.
>>
>> Really?  I've gotten apt based systems to run > 1 pg versions with
>> packages, but never rpm based.  Especially not Centos or RHEL.  Has
>> Fedora / yum started aachieved that?
>
> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/devrim/index.php?/archives/48-What-is-new-in-PostgreSQL-9.0-RPMs.html

Dude, that is freaking awesome.  And right after I converted all my
main db servers to Ubuntu.  It was more about a late model kernel than
distros, and my choices were FC or Ubuntu for a late model kernel...