Desparate: Lost WAL files

From
Richard Doust
Date:
Hi.
Can anyone please tell me what I can do? I've lost the contents of my
pg_xlog directory and postmaster is failing to start because it can't
find a valid checkpoint record. It had done a clean shutdown, so I
know that the dbms should be okay if I could just restart it.
I'm in a desparate situation. It's a production database.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Desparate: Lost WAL files

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Richard Doust wrote:
> Hi.
> Can anyone please tell me what I can do? I've lost the contents of my
> pg_xlog directory and postmaster is failing to start because it can't
> find a valid checkpoint record. It had done a clean shutdown, so I  know
> that the dbms should be okay if I could just restart it.
> I'm in a desparate situation. It's a production database.

Well the exact error would be good just in case but you may be able to
use pg_resetxlog to get the machine back up. However you will have no
idea what state the database itself is in.

You need to restore from backup.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks in advance.

Re: Desparate: Lost WAL files

Date:
Richard Doust wrote:
> Hi.
> Can anyone please tell me what I can do? I've lost the contents of my
> pg_xlog directory and postmaster is failing to start because it can't
> find a valid checkpoint record. It had done a clean shutdown, so I
> know that the dbms should be okay if I could just restart it.
> I'm in a desparate situation. It's a production database.
> Thanks in advance.

Have you tried pg_resetxlog to get it started?

Re: Desparate: Lost WAL files

From
Richard Doust
Date:
Thanks guys.
I didn't know about this command.
It worked like a charm.
Like I said, I had done a clean shutdown.
Thanks again.

On Jul 6, 2005, at 11:51 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Richard Doust wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> Can anyone please tell me what I can do? I've lost the contents of
>> my  pg_xlog directory and postmaster is failing to start because
>> it can't  find a valid checkpoint record. It had done a clean
>> shutdown, so I  know that the dbms should be okay if I could just
>> restart it.
>> I'm in a desparate situation. It's a production database.
>>

> Well the exact error would be good just in case but you may be able
> to use pg_resetxlog to get the machine back up. However you will
> have no
> idea what state the database itself is in.
>
> You need to restore from backup.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> Thanks in advance.

> Your PostgreSQL solutions company - Command Prompt, Inc.
> 1.800.492.2240
> PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Programming, 24x7 support
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Desparate: Lost WAL files

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Richard Doust wrote:
> Thanks guys.
> I didn't know about this command.
> It worked like a charm.
> Like I said, I had done a clean shutdown.

If you did a clean shutdown and you lost those files you quite likely
have a very serious problem. You should investigate your hardware. Files
don't just "disappear".

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks again.
>
> On Jul 6, 2005, at 11:51 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Richard Doust wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>> Can anyone please tell me what I can do? I've lost the contents of
>>> my  pg_xlog directory and postmaster is failing to start because  it
>>> can't  find a valid checkpoint record. It had done a clean  shutdown,
>>> so I  know that the dbms should be okay if I could just  restart it.
>>> I'm in a desparate situation. It's a production database.
>>>

>> Well the exact error would be good just in case but you may be able
>> to use pg_resetxlog to get the machine back up. However you will  have no
>> idea what state the database itself is in.
>>
>> You need to restore from backup.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>>

>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> --
>> Your PostgreSQL solutions company - Command Prompt, Inc.  1.800.492.2240
>> PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Programming, 24x7 support
>> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
>> Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Desparate: Lost WAL files

From
Richard Doust
Date:
Well, actually, (he said sheepishly) I deleted the WAL files myself.
A bit of stupidity.

Date:
Richard Doust wrote:
> Well, actually, (he said sheepishly) I deleted the WAL files myself.   A
> bit of stupidity.

Doh! In the future it would probably be wise to *not* do that ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake