Re: Desparate: Lost WAL files - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Desparate: Lost WAL files
Date
List pgsql-admin
Richard Doust wrote:
> Hi.
> Can anyone please tell me what I can do? I've lost the contents of my
> pg_xlog directory and postmaster is failing to start because it can't
> find a valid checkpoint record. It had done a clean shutdown, so I  know
> that the dbms should be okay if I could just restart it.
> I'm in a desparate situation. It's a production database.

Well the exact error would be good just in case but you may be able to
use pg_resetxlog to get the machine back up. However you will have no
idea what state the database itself is in.

You need to restore from backup.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake