is a good practice to create an index on the oid?

From
Edoardo Ceccarelli
Date:
I am using the oid of the table as the main key and I've found that is
not indexed (maybe because I have declared another primary key in the table)

it is a good practice to create an index like this on the oid of a table?
CREATE INDEX idoid annuncio400 USING btree (oid);

does it work as a normal index?

Thank you
Edoardo

Re: [JDBC] is a good practice to create an index on the oid?

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Yes, you can create an index on the oid, but unless you are selecting on
it, it is of little use.

you would have to do select * from foo where oid=? to get any value out
of the index.

Dave

--
Dave Cramer
519 939 0336

Re: [PERFORM] is a good practice to create an index on the oid?

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> I am using the oid of the table as the main key and I've found that is
> not indexed (maybe because I have declared another primary key in the
> table)
>
> it is a good practice to create an index like this on the oid of a table?
> CREATE INDEX idoid annuncio400 USING btree (oid);

Yes it is - in fact you really should add a unique index, not just a
normal index, as you want to enforce uniqueness of the oid column.  It
is theoretically possible to end up with duplicate oids in wraparound
situations.

Even better though is to not use oids at all, of course...

Chris

Re: [JDBC] [PERFORM] is a good practice to create an index on the

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
AFAIK, oids aren't used for anything internally, so duplicates don't
really matter. Besides, what would you do about duplicate oid's ?

The best suggestion is of course his last, don't use them.

--
Dave Cramer
519 939 0336

Date:
> AFAIK, oids aren't used for anything internally, so duplicates don't
> really matter. Besides, what would you do about duplicate oid's ?

If he's using them _externally_, then he does have to worry about
duplicates.

Chris

Re: [JDBC] [PERFORM] is a good practice to create an index on the

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Edoardo,

Are you using them for referential integrity? If so you would be wise to
use sequences instead.

Christopher: yes you are correct, I wasn't sure if that is what he was
doing.

Dave

--
Dave Cramer
519 939 0336

Re: [JDBC] [PERFORM] is a good practice to create an index on the

From
Edoardo Ceccarelli
Date:
I am going to use them as primary key of the table, so I'll surely need
them unique :)
thank you for you help
Edoardo

Date:
> I am going to use them as primary key of the table, so I'll surely need
> them unique :)

Eduoardo, I REALLY suggest you don't use them at all.  You should make a
primary key like this:

CREATE TABLE blah (
   id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
);

Also note that by default, OIDs are NOT dumped by pg_dump.  You will
need to add extra switches to your pg_dump backup to ensure that they are.

Chris

Re: [JDBC] [PERFORM] is a good practice to create an index on the

From
Edoardo Ceccarelli
Date:
do you mean that, declaring an index serial, I'd never have to deal with
incrementing its primary key? good to know!
anyway  in this particular situation I don't need such accurate
behaviour: this table is filled up with a lot of data twice per week and
it's used only to answer queries.
I could drop it whenever I want :)

Thanks again,
eddy

Date:
> do you mean that, declaring an index serial, I'd never have to deal with
> incrementing its primary key? good to know!

Yep. You can use 'DEFAULT' as the value, eg:

INSERT INTO blah (DEFAULT, ...);

> anyway  in this particular situation I don't need such accurate
> behaviour: this table is filled up with a lot of data twice per week and
> it's used only to answer queries.
> I could drop it whenever I want :)

Sure.

Chris

Re: [JDBC] [PERFORM] is a good practice to create an index on the

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:13:14 +0200,
  Edoardo Ceccarelli <eddy@axa.it> wrote:
> do you mean that, declaring an index serial, I'd never have to deal with
> incrementing its primary key? good to know!

That isn't what is happening. Serial is a special type. It is int plus
a default rule linked to a sequence. No index is created by default
for the serial type. Declaring a column as a primary key will however
create a unique index on that column.

Also note that you should only assume that the serial values are unique.
(This assumes that you don't use setval and that you don't roll a sequence
over.) Within a single session you can assume the sequence values will
be monotonicly increasing. The values that end up in your table can have
gaps. Typically this happens when a transaction rolls back after obtaining
a new value from a sequence. It can also happen if you grab sequence
values in larger blocks (which might be more efficient if a session normally
acquires mulitple values from a particular sequence) than the default 1.

> anyway  in this particular situation I don't need such accurate
> behaviour: this table is filled up with a lot of data twice per week and
> it's used only to answer queries.
> I could drop it whenever I want :)

You really don't want to use oids.