Access setting for users, problem

From
"Kaj-Michael Lang"
Date:
We are going to give all our shell users access to Postgres so that every user has their own database that they use as
muchas they like but so that they can't create new databases. Also these databases should be totaly private to the user
thatowns it (ok, the "postgres" should have access to them) so that nobbody else can
connect/select/insert/update/create/drop/etc.

How do I do it ?

| Kaj-Michael Lang        | WWW:    http://www.tal.org               |
| Kaskentie 5 C9          | E-Mail: milang@tal.org                   |
| 20720 Turku             |         milang@onion.sip.fi              |
| FINLAND                 |         milang@infa.abo.fi               |
|-------------------------|         klang@abo.fi                     |
| GSM: +358-(0)40-5271058 | FTP:    ftp://ftp.tal.org                |
|     CS@ÅA      DBMS&CGI&PHP&HelpDesk&PTRoot&Coding@SIP Ltd         |
| Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds |

Re: [ADMIN] Access setting for users, problem

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Thu, 21 May 1998, Kaj-Michael Lang wrote:

> We are going to give all our shell users access to Postgres so that
> every user has their own database that they use as much as they like but
> so that they can't create new databases. Also these databases should be
> totaly private to the user that owns it (ok, the "postgres" should have
> access to them) so that nobbody else can
> connect/select/insert/update/create/drop/etc.

The short answer: use the 'createuser' command via the postgres superuser
and follow the instructions

The long answer: read the PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide.  It describes
it more detail how to set up users and access to different databases.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972