pgadmin4 rc1 query tool performance

From
Attila Soki
Date:
Hi,

i testing pgadmin4 (rc1) and noticed that the query tool is significantly slower than the query tool in pgadmin3.
i am not sure if this occurs only on my computer or only under os x (10.10.5) or is this a known behavior.

how to repeat:
create table test1 (a int, t text);
insert into test1 (select generate_series(0,25000,1),'Lorem ipsum');

create table test2 (a int, t text);
insert into test2 (select generate_series(0,25000,1),'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent
sitamet auctor lectus. Nulla condimentum maximus mauris, ac mattis leo blandit eget.');

select * from test1;
pgadmin3: Total query runtime: 518 msec
25001 rows retrieved.

pgadmin4 1.0 rc1:
Total query runtime: 2 secs.
25001 rows retrieved.

select * from test2;
pgadmin3:
Total query runtime: 2.8 secs
25001 rows retrieved

pgadmin4 1.0 rc1:
Total query runtime: 14 secs.
25001 rows retrieved.

client: os x 10.10.5
server: debian jessie in vmware, pg9.6-rc1

(sorry for crossposting, i send this e-mail accidentally to pgsql-generat first)

thanks,

Attila

Re: pgadmin4 rc1 query tool performance

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Attila Soki <atiware@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i testing pgadmin4 (rc1) and noticed that the query tool is significantly slower than the query tool in pgadmin3.
> i am not sure if this occurs only on my computer or only under os x (10.10.5) or is this a known behavior.

It's a natural consequence of it being a web application.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgadmin4 rc1 query tool performance

From
Michal Kozusznik
Date:
On 6.9.2016 11:51, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Attila Soki <atiware@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i testing pgadmin4 (rc1) and noticed that the query tool is significantly slower than the query tool in pgadmin3.
>> i am not sure if this occurs only on my computer or only under os x (10.10.5) or is this a known behavior.
> It's a natural consequence of it being a web application.

Indeed It is, but not to the extent shown by OP.
Or in other words, it should be considered as show stopper for tool like
pgAdmin.

I really cannot imaging daily work with such slow tool. I still hope in
significant improvement in this area.

MK

Attachment

Re: pgadmin4 rc1 query tool performance

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Michal Kozusznik
<kozusznik.michal@ifortuna.cz> wrote:
> On 6.9.2016 11:51, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Attila Soki <atiware@gmx.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i testing pgadmin4 (rc1) and noticed that the query tool is significantly
>>> slower than the query tool in pgadmin3.
>>> i am not sure if this occurs only on my computer or only under os x
>>> (10.10.5) or is this a known behavior.
>>
>> It's a natural consequence of it being a web application.
>

> Indeed It is, but not to the extent shown by OP.
> Or in other words, it should be considered as show stopper for tool like
> pgAdmin.
>
> I really cannot imaging daily work with such slow tool. I still hope in
> significant improvement in this area.

Patches are welcome.