Weird behavior editing entities

From
Bastiaan Olij
Date:
Hi All,

Sorry if this has come up before but one of the more irritating features
of pgAdmin for me has been this little bit of behavior (on Mac OS X):

1) Select a database
2) right click select properties...
3) click in the name field
4) use forward delete to delete the next character

I get a nice prompt to drop my database. Same applies to editing tables
and other things. It seems the forward delete button is somehow going
back to the treelist which still has focus on the main window open in
the background.

Cheers,

Bastiaan Olij

Re: Weird behavior editing entities

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Bastiaan Olij <bastiaan@basenlily.me> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry if this has come up before but one of the more irritating features
> of pgAdmin for me has been this little bit of behavior (on Mac OS X):
>
> 1) Select a database
> 2) right click select properties...
> 3) click in the name field
> 4) use forward delete to delete the next character
>
> I get a nice prompt to drop my database. Same applies to editing tables
> and other things. It seems the forward delete button is somehow going
> back to the treelist which still has focus on the main window open in
> the background.

Unfortunately this seems to be a side effect of the way that wxWidgets
works. I can reproduce the issue trivially in the "dialog" wxWidgets
sample by adding a text box to the modeless dialogue and then adding a
"Del" shortcut to a menu option on the main window. I'm not sure how
we could fix this, except by either:

- Making the dialogues modal - which would mean only one could be
opened at once, and must be closed before anything else can be done

- Changing the shortcut for drop object.

Obviously the first option isn't acceptable. The second isn't
particularly nice either, but is not the end of the world.

Thoughts folks?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Weird behavior editing entities

From
Bastiaan Olij
Date:
Hey David,

> Obviously the first option isn't acceptable. The second isn't
> particularly nice either, but is not the end of the world.
>
> Thoughts folks?

Sounds to me like this is an issue to be discussed on wxWidgets support
forums. I haven't joined up there myself but plan to start getting
familiar with the world of wxWidgets in the near future so I have no
idea how responsive those guys are?

Date:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Bastiaan Olij <bastiaan@basenlily.me> wrote:
> Hey David,

Who is that? :-)

>> Obviously the first option isn't acceptable. The second isn't
>> particularly nice either, but is not the end of the world.
>>
>> Thoughts folks?
>>
> Sounds to me like this is an issue to be discussed on wxWidgets support
> forums. I haven't joined up there myself but plan to start getting
> familiar with the world of wxWidgets in the near future so I have no
> idea how responsive those guys are?

Depends on the phase of the moon in my experience. Sometimes they're
really responsive, other times not at all. I suspect this issue won't
get much, if any attention, if only because they're moving largely to
Cocoa support in new versions and that's totally different code.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Weird behavior editing entities

From
Bastiaan Olij
Date:
Hey Dave,

> Who is that? :-)
We got two Davids in the office here, too used to typing it I guess ;)

> Depends on the phase of the moon in my experience. Sometimes they're
> really responsive, other times not at all. I suspect this issue won't
> get much, if any attention, if only because they're moving largely to
> Cocoa support in new versions and that's totally different code.
Ah the joys of community software, either hope someone shares your
frustration who can actually fix it, or fix it yourself :) :)

The move to Cocoa obviously is one that is forced upon all of us with
Apple slowly dropping support for the older APIs. One day...

Cheers,

Bas