pgAdmin III does not display Default Privileges for schemas

From
Nathan Alden
Date:
Windows 7 x64
PostgreSQL 9.2.2
pgAdmin III 1.16.1

Follow these steps to reproduce:

1. Connect to the postgres DB.
2. Run the following SQL:

create database test_database;

3. Run the following SQL:

create role my_group;

4. Connect to the test_database DB.
5. Run the following SQL:

alter default privileges in schema public grant all on types to my_group;

6. Open pgAdmin III.
7. Navigate to the public schema in test_database.
8. Right-click the public schema and choose Properties.
9. Select the Default Privileges tab.
10. Note that all four subtabs are empty, and the Role drop-down lists do
not list my_group as a role.

Re: pgAdmin III does not display Default Privileges for schemas

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Fri, 2012-12-07 at 20:38 -0600, Nathan Alden wrote:
> Windows 7 x64
> PostgreSQL 9.2.2
> pgAdmin III 1.16.1
>
> Follow these steps to reproduce:
>
> 1. Connect to the postgres DB.
> 2. Run the following SQL:
>
> create database test_database;
>
> 3. Run the following SQL:
>
> create role my_group;
>
> 4. Connect to the test_database DB.
> 5. Run the following SQL:
>
> alter default privileges in schema public grant all on types to my_group;
>
> 6. Open pgAdmin III.
> 7. Navigate to the public schema in test_database.
> 8. Right-click the public schema and choose Properties.
> 9. Select the Default Privileges tab.
> 10. Note that all four subtabs are empty, and the Role drop-down lists do
> not list my_group as a role.

Thanks for your report, it's fixed now.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: pgAdmin III does not display Default Privileges for schemas

From
Shira Bezalel
Date:
foundthis thread from 2012 concerning a problem where pgAdmin III doesn't display default privileges for
schemas:</div><divclass="gmail_default" style="font-family:tahoma,sans-serif"><br /></div><div
class="gmail_default"><fontface="tahoma, sans-serif"><a
href="http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1356354218.2000.30.camel@localhost.localdomain">http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1356354218.2000.30.camel@localhost.localdomain</a></font><br
face="tahoma,sans-serif">The thread says the fix has been made, but I just downloaded the latest Windo</font>ws version
(v1.18.1) of pgAdmin III and the problem still seems to be happening. Is the fix not available in this
/>>alter default privileges in schema public grant all on types to my_group;<br />> <br />> 6. Open pgAdmin
III.<br/>> 7. Navigate to the public schema in test_database.<br /> > 8. Right-click the public schema and choose
Properties.<br/>> 9. Select the Default Privileges tab.<br />> 10. Note that all four subtabs are empty, and the
href="http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info">http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info</a><br/>><a
/><divstyle="font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;line-height:20px;margin:0px"><br
style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:13px;font-weight:normal;line-height:normal"/></div><div
style="font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;line-height:20px;margin:0px"><br/></div><div

Date:
On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 12:40 -0800, Shira Bezalel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found this thread from 2012 concerning a problem where pgAdmin III
> doesn't display default privileges for schemas:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1356354218.2000.30.camel@localhost.localdomain
>
> The thread says the fix has been made, but I just downloaded the latest
> Windows version (v 1.18.1) of pgAdmin III and the problem still seems to be
> happening. Is the fix not available in this version?

It should.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: pgAdmin III does not display Default Privileges for schemas

From
Shira Bezalel
Date:
Okay, you're right. Sorry about that -- that exact test case is working, however, other default privileges I've modified aren't showing up. The common denominator seems to be whether the role is a group role or a login role. Default privilege changes for login roles don't seem to show up in pgAdmin III -- are they supposed to?

Shira

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

--
Shira Bezalel
Systems & Database Manager
San Francisco Estuary Institute
Ph: 510-746-7304

Date:
On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 13:26 -0800, Shira Bezalel wrote:
> Okay, you're right. Sorry about that -- that exact test case is working,
> however, other default privileges I've modified aren't showing up. The
> common denominator seems to be whether the role is a group role or a login
> role. Default privilege changes for login roles don't seem to show up in
> pgAdmin III -- are they supposed to?

Yes. Did you allow showing login roles in the options dialog?

And please, don't top-post, it makes it hard to read and follow.

--

Date:
On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 14:10 -0800, Shira Bezalel wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 13:26 -0800, Shira Bezalel wrote:
> > > Okay, you're right. Sorry about that -- that exact test case is working,
> > > however, other default privileges I've modified aren't showing up. The
> > > common denominator seems to be whether the role is a group role or a
> > login
> > > role. Default privilege changes for login roles don't seem to show up in
> > > pgAdmin III -- are they supposed to?
> > >

> > Yes. Did you allow showing login roles in the options dialog?
> >
> > And please, don't top-post, it makes it hard to read and follow.
> >

> I apologize for the top-posting.  Didn't mean to do that.

No problem. And please, keep the list posted :)

> Can you tell me specifically which option you are referring to? If you mean
> Options > Browser > Display > Users/login Roles, then yes, it is checked.

No, I meant Options > Browser > UI Miscellaneous > Show users for
privileges.

--

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 14:10 -0800, Shira Bezalel wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 13:26 -0800, Shira Bezalel wrote:
> > > Okay, you're right. Sorry about that -- that exact test case is working,
> > > however, other default privileges I've modified aren't showing up. The
> > > common denominator seems to be whether the role is a group role or a
> > login
> > > role. Default privilege changes for login roles don't seem to show up in
> > > pgAdmin III -- are they supposed to?
> > >

> > Yes. Did you allow showing login roles in the options dialog?
> >
> > And please, don't top-post, it makes it hard to read and follow.
> >

> I apologize for the top-posting.  Didn't mean to do that.

No problem. And please, keep the list posted :)

> Can you tell me specifically which option you are referring to? If you mean
> Options > Browser > Display > Users/login Roles, then yes, it is checked.

No, I meant Options > Browser > UI Miscellaneous > Show users for
privileges.

Many thanks Guillaume! Turning on that option took care of it.

Shira