German translation bug

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Hello,

version 1.12.2

Connect to Server (Verbindung zum Server hinzufügen)

Somebody translated the word host by using the word Server.
Which is totally confusing.
I didn't expect that I have to fill the host in a field that is named
server.

The German word for host is Host.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht
Bielefeld

Re: German translation bug

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 11/01/2011 14:57, Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :
> [...]
> version 1.12.2
>
> Connect to Server (Verbindung zum Server hinzufügen)
>
> Somebody translated the word host by using the word Server.
> Which is totally confusing.
> I didn't expect that I have to fill the host in a field that is named
> server.
>
> The German word for host is Host.

Harald, can you get a look at this comment? and if it is interesting,
can you send me a fixed pgadmin.po? Thanks.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: German translation bug

From
Jasmin Dizdarevic
Date:
Practically there is even in german no difference between server and host. And recording to this (http://www.wer-weiss-was.de/theme13/article1208446.html in german) is server the better choise.

Looking at other products, the word server is more often used than host.

2011/1/11 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
Le 11/01/2011 14:57, Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :
> [...]
> version 1.12.2
>
> Connect to Server (Verbindung zum Server hinzufügen)
>
> Somebody translated the word host by using the word Server.
> Which is totally confusing.
> I didn't expect that I have to fill the host in a field that is named
> server.
>
> The German word for host is Host.

Harald, can you get a look at this comment? and if it is interesting,
can you send me a fixed pgadmin.po? Thanks.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr
 http://dalibo.com

Re: German translation bug

From
Jan-Peter Seifert
Date:
Hello,

sorry for barging in.

In German you can both - software and hardware - call a server indeed:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server

As PostgreSQL servers don't have a name by themselves people familiar
with PostgreSQL know that they have to enter the host's address.

Both server and host are English terms. However, why use a term that is
as ambiguous as server in German in this case?

I don't think anybody would try to enter a PostgreSQL server's name in a
field labeled 'Host'.

So I'd favour Host as label for this field in the German 'translation'
as well.

Regards,

Peter

Am 11.01.2011 20:00, schrieb Jasmin Dizdarevic:
> Practically there is even in german no difference between server and
> host. And recording to this
> (http://www.wer-weiss-was.de/theme13/article1208446.html in german) is
> server the better choise.
>
> Looking at other products, the word server is more often used than host.
>
> 2011/1/11 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info
> <mailto:guillaume@lelarge.info>>
>
>     Le 11/01/2011 14:57, Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :
>     > [...]
>     > version 1.12.2
>     >
>     > Connect to Server (Verbindung zum Server hinzufügen)
>     >
>     > Somebody translated the word host by using the word Server.
>     > Which is totally confusing.
>     > I didn't expect that I have to fill the host in a field that is named
>     > server.
>     >
>     > The German word for host is Host.
>     >

>     Harald, can you get a look at this comment? and if it is interesting,
>     can you send me a fixed pgadmin.po? Thanks.
>

>     --
>     Guillaume
>      http://www.postgresql.fr
>      http://dalibo.com
>
>     --

Re: German translation bug

From
"Harald Armin Massa[legacy]"

> Somebody translated the word host by using the word Server.
> Which is totally confusing.
> I didn't expect that I have to fill the host in a field that is named
> server.
>
> The German word for host is Host.

I have used "host" in German IT-Speak for

a) for "big iron", as in /370  and ES/9000 (see also link provided by Jasmin)
b) the host machine of virtual machines (gastgeber-rechner)

and have even seen the wording "Wir bieten Server-Hosting" (we offer to have your Servers in our racks...)

I concur that "Host" and "Server" both are valid translations of the "host" field. I think translation "Server"  predates my translation efforts by years.

So our options are:

a) change "Server" to "Host" and make it easier for some of the newcomers and invalidate all existing external documentations
b) change "Server" to "Server/Host" to make it easier for some of the newcomers and only partly invalidate all existing external documentations
c) leave it as it is
d) change it to Server (Netzwerkadresse), thereby only partly invalidate all existing external documetation but being more explicit

I recommend to go with d), especially as in a modern hardware there may be more then one PostgreSQL cluster (with or without virtual machine around it) listeing to different IP-Interfaces.

opinions?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: German translation bug

From
r d
Date:
Sorry, but server (EN) translates to Server (DE).
Host (EN) translates to Host (DE).
And BTW, most computing terms translate 1:1 English:Deutsch (es hat sich in der Praxis so eingebürgert).

A server is a /role/ which potentially any device can assume, a /host/, OTOH, is a big, "old-style" /computer/ like the IBM S-390, which dwells in caves underneath banks and govt offices and communicates with the world via SNA and 3250 terminals.

Supposing that you refer to the Menu File -> Add Server (english version) and/or to the icon with the plug on the upper-left, I think that the translation is correct.

If a change is to be made at all, may I suggest:

(GERMAN) Verbindung hinzufügen
(English) Add connection

... and the "Server" hierarchy in the tree pane should in this case be renamed "Connections".

I also have the impression that there is a confusion/overlap in the GUI between the "Add connection" and "Connect" functionality, and I tend to think that the icon with the plug on the upper-left should "connect" to any selected (in the tree pane) "Server" object, instead of "adding a connection".

(I agree mostly with Harald)

Jauchz und Holladriööö!

:-) RD 0002

Date:
cite="mid:AANLkTinbwbGi=7HJz=szcVp7+NKSwgKzWdhjb93mdgKk@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">

I concur that "Host" and "Server" both are valid translations of the "host"
field. I think translation "Server"  predates my translation efforts by
years.
mightbe familiar with calling a host a server but in<br /> Linux/Unix world a server is either a daemon or hardware.<br
cite="mid:AANLkTinbwbGi=7HJz=szcVp7+NKSwgKzWdhjb93mdgKk@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">a) change "Server" to

cite="mid:AANLkTinbwbGi=7HJz=szcVp7+NKSwgKzWdhjb93mdgKk@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">b) change "Server" to
"Server/Host"to make it easier for some of the

newcomers and only partly invalidate all existing external documentations
cite="mid:AANLkTinbwbGi=7HJz=szcVp7+NKSwgKzWdhjb93mdgKk@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">c) leave it as it is

itserver.<br /> Do you really want that we change all the other PostgreSQL translations?<br /> Error messages, help
cite="mid:AANLkTinbwbGi=7HJz=szcVp7+NKSwgKzWdhjb93mdgKk@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">d) change it to Server
(Netzwerkadresse),thereby only partly invalidate all

existing external documetation but being more explicit
class="resultList"><bclass="copy-bold"><a
href="http://www.duden-suche.de/suche/abstract.php?shortname=fx&artikel_id=1006740">Host</a></b>,der; -[s], -s
[engl.host (<a
href="http://www.duden-suche.de/suche/abstract.php?shortname=fx&verweis=1&artikel_id=76071">→Hostess</a>)]
cols="72">--

Susanne Ebrecht
Bielefeld
</pre>

Re: German translation bug

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
On 12.01.2011 14:31, r d wrote:
> Sorry, but server (EN) translates to Server (DE).
> Host (EN) translates to Host (DE).

Thanks. That is exactly my opinion.

Btw. I referred to the Window that you get after you click
"Add connection" "Verbindung hinzufügen".

In the English version you have there the word "Host".
In the German version the word "Host" was translated to "Server".

As somebody who never worked with Windows you really have no
clue what you should fill there because the word server for host is
not usual on Linux/Unix.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht
Bielefeld

Re: German translation bug

From
"Massa, Harald Armin"
For all as info: I just updated the translation from host to "Host". All complainers coming from an SNA-perspective will  be forwarded to Susanne; who should assume charge of all patches concerning EBCDIC support within pgAdmin :)

best wishes

Harald

--
GHUM GmbH