Re: German translation bug - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Harald Armin Massa[legacy]
Subject Re: German translation bug
Date
List pgadmin-support

> Somebody translated the word host by using the word Server.
> Which is totally confusing.
> I didn't expect that I have to fill the host in a field that is named
> server.
>
> The German word for host is Host.

I have used "host" in German IT-Speak for

a) for "big iron", as in /370  and ES/9000 (see also link provided by Jasmin)
b) the host machine of virtual machines (gastgeber-rechner)

and have even seen the wording "Wir bieten Server-Hosting" (we offer to have your Servers in our racks...)

I concur that "Host" and "Server" both are valid translations of the "host" field. I think translation "Server"  predates my translation efforts by years.

So our options are:

a) change "Server" to "Host" and make it easier for some of the newcomers and invalidate all existing external documentations
b) change "Server" to "Server/Host" to make it easier for some of the newcomers and only partly invalidate all existing external documentations
c) leave it as it is
d) change it to Server (Netzwerkadresse), thereby only partly invalidate all existing external documetation but being more explicit

I recommend to go with d), especially as in a modern hardware there may be more then one PostgreSQL cluster (with or without virtual machine around it) listeing to different IP-Interfaces.

opinions?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa