running pgagent

From
Seb
Date:
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on how to run pgagent.  IIUC, once I've setup the
jobs in pgAdmin, then we have to ensure that the pgagent daemon is
running.  So I guess pgagent should be run from a system init script.
But firts I'd like to check how it runs from a shell.  What user should
I run pgagent as?  Should only one pgagent daemon be run just on the
postgres database?  I have a single server (localhost) which has the
postgres database as the maintenance.

On a related note, I cannot select any starting date when the combo box
comes up for the starting date of a step in a job.  I'm using pgAdmin3
version 1.10.1, Debian sid package.  Thanks.

--
Seb

Re: running pgagent

From
Ashesh Vashi
Date:
Hi,<br /><br />You can find the pgAgent daemon setup documents found @ <a
href="http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/dev/pgagent-install.html">http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/dev/pgagent-install.html.</a><br
2010at 7:47 AM, Seb <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:spluque@gmail.com">spluque@gmail.com</a>></span> wrote:<br
/><blockquoteclass="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex;
inpgAdmin, then we have to ensure that the pgagent daemon is<br /> running.  So I guess pgagent should be run from a
systeminit script.<br /> But firts I'd like to check how it runs from a shell.  What user should<br /> I run pgagent
as? Should only one pgagent daemon be run just on the<br /> postgres database?  I have a single server (localhost)
datewhen the combo box<br /> comes up for the starting date of a step in a job.  I'm using pgAdmin3<br /> version
Sentvia pgadmin-support mailing list (<a
href="mailto:pgadmin-support@postgresql.org">pgadmin-support@postgresql.org</a>)<br/> To make changes to your

Re: running pgagent

From
Sebastian P. Luque
Date:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:21:32 +0530,
Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Hi, You can find the pgAgent daemon setup documents found @
> http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/dev/pgagent-install.html.

Thanks for the pointer.

If I understand well, there can only be one pgagent daemon per database?

--
Seb

Re: running pgagent

From
Ashesh Vashi
Date:
That's right..

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Sebastian P. Luque <spluque@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:21:32 +0530,
Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Hi, You can find the pgAgent daemon setup documents found @
> http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/dev/pgagent-install.html.

Thanks for the pointer.

If I understand well, there can only be one pgagent daemon per database?

--
Seb

Re: running pgagent

From
Ashesh Vashi
Date:
Ignore my previous mail..

(After Discussion with Dave Page, I found that)
We can have multiple pgAgent Daemon running for the same database too.
Each pgagent daemon lock the job, before running it. So that, it will not run multiple times by different pgagent daemons.

If you specify the "Host Agent" for the job, that particular job will run only on that host only.

--
Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA - Enterprise Postgres Company