Where is PostgreSQL root directory?

From
"Just E. Mail"
Hello:

This is the simplest question on this form but I have pulled all my hair
trying figuring it out. PLEASE HELP!

I have installed PostgreSQL V8.3.7 (RPM) on a CentOS 5.2 system.
PostgreSQL server STARTS & STOPS fine.

Now I am trying to install "pgAdmin" (having already installed
wxWigets). When I issue the "./configure" command to install "pgAdmin",
I get an error message saying that it can't find the PostgreSQL and that
I should use the --with-pgsql=DIR command.  Fine I issue the following
command:

%./configure  --with-pgsql=/usr/lib     ;(/usr/lib is where I see the
root directory)

but I still continue to get the same error. The documentation for
PostgreSQL mentions that the root directory is "/usr/local/pgsql". I
tried that. Again the same error.

What am I doing wrong? Using RPM PostgreSQL installation, where is the
root directory for pgsql?

This all seems simple but I am struck. PLEASE HELP!

Sad SAM

Re: [NOVICE] Where is PostgreSQL root directory?

Date:
"Just E. Mail" <justemail@imwell-usa.com> writes:
> Now I am trying to install "pgAdmin" (having already installed
> wxWigets). When I issue the "./configure" command to install "pgAdmin",
> I get an error message saying that it can't find the PostgreSQL and that
> I should use the --with-pgsql=DIR command.

You'd only run configure if you were trying to install pgAdmin from
source; and I suppose what it wants is the root of the Postgres
source tree, which you haven't got because you didn't install Postgres
from source.  I'd suggest finding an RPM packaging of pgAdmin instead.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [NOVICE] Where is PostgreSQL root directory?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Just E. Mail" <justemail@imwell-usa.com> writes:
>> Now I am trying to install "pgAdmin" (having already installed
>> wxWigets). When I issue the "./configure" command to install "pgAdmin",
>> I get an error message saying that it can't find the PostgreSQL and that
>> I should use the --with-pgsql=DIR command.
>
> You'd only run configure if you were trying to install pgAdmin from
> source; and I suppose what it wants is the root of the Postgres
> source tree, which you haven't got because you didn't install Postgres
> from source.  I'd suggest finding an RPM packaging of pgAdmin instead.

It's looking for the installation prefix - probably /usr.

I agree with Tom though - use the RPMs from http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org
unless you're planning on hacking on the code.

--
Dave Page

Re: [NOVICE] Where is PostgreSQL root directory?

From
"Just E. Mail"
Tom:

You are right. Unfortunately, there is no RPM for abAdmin v1.8.4. I will
just re-install the PostgreSQL server from source.

Thanks again.

Sam

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Just E. Mail" <justemail@imwell-usa.com> writes:
>
>> Now I am trying to install "pgAdmin" (having already installed
>> wxWigets). When I issue the "./configure" command to install "pgAdmin",
>> I get an error message saying that it can't find the PostgreSQL and that
>> I should use the --with-pgsql=DIR command.
>>

> You'd only run configure if you were trying to install pgAdmin from
> source; and I suppose what it wants is the root of the Postgres
> source tree, which you haven't got because you didn't install Postgres
> from source.  I'd suggest finding an RPM packaging of pgAdmin instead.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: [NOVICE] Where is PostgreSQL root directory?

From
"Just E. Mail"
Jeffrey:

I also saw that URL except I got scared when I saw "testing" in the
string. I will use it.

Thanks.

Sam

Jeffrey Lake - Admin wrote:
> huh??
> simple search I found it on pbone
>
> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=pgadmin3&srodzaj=3

"Jeffrey Lake - Admin"
Date:

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Just E. Mail" <justemail@imwell-usa.com> writes:
>
>> Now I am trying to install "pgAdmin" (having already installed
>> wxWigets). When I issue the "./configure" command to install "pgAdmin",
>> I get an error message saying that it can't find the PostgreSQL and that
>> I should use the --with-pgsql=DIR command.
>>

> You'd only run configure if you were trying to install pgAdmin from
> source; and I suppose what it wants is the root of the Postgres
> source tree, which you haven't got because you didn't install Postgres
> from source.  I'd suggest finding an RPM packaging of pgAdmin instead.
>
> regards, tom lane
> 05:53:00

Re: [NOVICE] Where is PostgreSQL root directory?

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 17:01 -0600, Just E. Mail wrote:
> Unfortunately, there is no RPM for abAdmin v1.8.4. I will
> just re-install the PostgreSQL server from source.

http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org

You will see RPMs of pgadmin3 there.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
                   http://www.gunduz.org