What happened with the help file

From
"Vellinga, Fred"
Date:
Dear PgAdmin,

FYI:
I upgraded to the lastest version of pgadmin and discoverd that the help is now on-line and rather basic. The complete SQL manual is removed from the off-line (.chm) help file. I find that a bit disappointing.

Thanks,
Fred Vellinga

Verizon Nederland B.V. - H.J.E. Wenckebachweg 123, 1096 AM, Amsterdam, the Netherlands - Commercial Register No. 34199467

Re: What happened with the help file

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 02/01/2008 14:23, Vellinga, Fred wrote:

> I upgraded to the lastest version of pgadmin and discoverd that the help
> is now on-line and rather basic. The complete SQL manual is removed from
> the off-line (.chm) help file.

This came up on this list some time ago - as I recall, there was a
problem with packaging the help file - it'll be in the archives.

The online help is the same one that used to come with the PgAdmin help,
and you can download it to your local machine, then point PgAdmin at it
(File -> Options -> General); this is what I've done, and it works fine.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: What happened with the help file

From
"Vellinga, Fred"
Date:
Ray,

Thanks. I restored the  1.6 version. I was not aware of the File ->
Options -> General feature.
It works fine indeed.

Thanks, Fred.

Date:
On 02/01/2008 15:08, Michael Shapiro wrote:
> Thanks. It looks as if, while the options point to the web, PgAdmin does
> have the help file with it -- it is in the installation folder ---
> C:\Program Files\pgAdmin III\1.8\Docs\en_US.

Yes, but that's the PgAdmin help file only. The help that came with
earlier versions of PgAdmin used to include all the documentation for
PostgreSQl and Slony-I too.

I have a local web server running on my laptop for development work, so
I downloaded the PG docs into a directory on that, and pointed "PG help
path" at it (http://localhost/pgdocs) - works a treat! :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: What happened with the help file

From
Dave Page
Date:
Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 02/01/2008 15:08, Michael Shapiro wrote:
>> Thanks. It looks as if, while the options point to the web, PgAdmin
>> does have the help file with it -- it is in the installation folder
>> --- C:\Program Files\pgAdmin III\1.8\Docs\en_US.
>
> Yes, but that's the PgAdmin help file only. The help that came with
> earlier versions of PgAdmin used to include all the documentation for
> PostgreSQl and Slony-I too.
>
> I have a local web server running on my laptop for development work, so
> I downloaded the PG docs into a directory on that, and pointed "PG help
> path" at it (http://localhost/pgdocs) - works a treat! :-)

You can also point it to a local directory, a zip archive of the help
files (which should contain the htmlhelp project files - try 'make
htmlhelp' in the PostgreSQL doc source tree), or a compiled htmlhelp
file on Windows.

The other bonus is that you can of course use whatever version of the
documentation you like this way. The same applies to the Slony and
EnterpriseDB documentation.

http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/options-tab1.html

/D