Support for older servers

From
Dave Page
Date:
Should we consider dropping official support for PostgreSQL 7.x in the
next major version of pgAdmin?

Thoughts?

/D

Re: Support for older servers

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
My 2€cent: dropping suport for 7.x in pgAdmin would give a healthy
incentiv to update.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: Support for older servers

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 16/11/2007 12:24, Dave Page wrote:
> Should we consider dropping official support for PostgreSQL 7.x in the
> next major version of pgAdmin?

I'd be against dropping support before 7.x is officially deprecated.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Support for older servers

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 12:47:36PM +0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 16/11/2007 12:24, Dave Page wrote:
> >Should we consider dropping official support for PostgreSQL 7.x in the
> >next major version of pgAdmin?
>
> I'd be against dropping support before 7.x is officially deprecated.

Just to clearify, if necessary: the current branches (1.6) would still be
supported on 7.3/7.4. Just not the next version.

//Magnus

Date:
On 16/11/2007 13:27, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Just to clearify, if necessary: the current branches (1.6) would still be
> supported on 7.3/7.4. Just not the next version.

Ah - fair 'nuff. In that case, whatever makes the developers' lives
easier is grand by me... :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Support for older servers

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 12:47:36PM +0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
>> On 16/11/2007 12:24, Dave Page wrote:
>>> Should we consider dropping official support for PostgreSQL 7.x in the
>>> next major version of pgAdmin?
>> I'd be against dropping support before 7.x is officially deprecated.
>
> Just to clearify, if necessary: the current branches (1.6) would still be
> supported on 7.3/7.4. Just not the next version.

I suppose you meant 1.8 :)

Which means we will have to support two branches, REL-1_8_0_PATCHES and
trunk, till 7.4 is officially declared unsupported. If this is the case,
I'm ok with this.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Date:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Magnus Hagander a écrit :
>>> I'd be against dropping support before 7.x is officially deprecated.
>> Just to clearify, if necessary: the current branches (1.6) would still be
>> supported on 7.3/7.4. Just not the next version.
>>

> I suppose you meant 1.8 :)

Yes, of course.

> Which means we will have to support two branches, REL-1_8_0_PATCHES and
> trunk, till 7.4 is officially declared unsupported. If this is the case,
> I'm ok with this.

Yes. But since we don't add features to REL-1_8_0_PATCHES, most changes
won't be version specific, which makes life easier.

At least that's how I figured it, and I *think* that's what Dave meant :-)

//Magnus

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander a écrit :
>>> Just to clearify, if necessary: the current branches (1.6) would still be
>>> supported on 7.3/7.4. Just not the next version.
>>>
>> I suppose you meant 1.8 :)
>
> Yes, of course.
>

>> Which means we will have to support two branches, REL-1_8_0_PATCHES and
>> trunk, till 7.4 is officially declared unsupported. If this is the case,
>> I'm ok with this.
>
> Yes. But since we don't add features to REL-1_8_0_PATCHES, most changes
> won't be version specific, which makes life easier.
>
> At least that's how I figured it, and I *think* that's what Dave meant :-)

Yes. Except it'll be 7.3 as well as 7.4.

/D

Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Support for older servers

From
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Dave Page wrote:

> Should we consider dropping official support for PostgreSQL 7.x in the
> next major version of pgAdmin?

JOOC, is there any specific reason for that? The 7.x code paths are
already there, the backend didn't break the compatibility yet, ...
Maybe it's too hard to test a feature in all of those old versions ;)

--
  Euler Taveira de Oliveira
  http://www.timbira.com/

Re: Support for older servers

From
Erwin Brandstetter
Date:
On Nov 16, 2:41 pm, guilla...@lelarge.info (Guillaume Lelarge) wrote:
> Which means we will have to support two branches, REL-1_8_0_PATCHES and
> trunk, till 7.4 is officially declared unsupported. If this is the case,
> I'm ok with this.

pgAdmin 1.8 will be there for older versions of pg, and it's not like
pg 7.4 is subject to change any more. And people should really
consider upgrading to pg 8.2 or 8.3 by now.
I have tried to cover pg 8.1, 8.2 and to some extent 7.4 in my tests
for 1.8. With the various versions and platforms possible combinations
get out of hand.

So, I'd say, good idea, drop pg 7.4 for trunk.
(I could even imagine to scrap 8.0 as well. That one's not among the
more popular releases anyway)

Regards
Erwin