Hi,

Do buttons Add and Remove in Parameters tab have purpose?

Regards,
Zoran

Re: Not able to add or remove argument in Parameters tab, Function Properties

From
Guillaume Lelarge
zoran a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Do buttons Add and Remove in Parameters tab have purpose?

They have when you're connected to a PostgreSQL 8.3 server.

Dave, do you think we should hide the parameters' tab when used with
pre-8.3 servers ? I can write a patch for this.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> zoran a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do buttons Add and Remove in Parameters tab have purpose?
>>

> They have when you're connected to a PostgreSQL 8.3 server.
>
> Dave, do you think we should hide the parameters' tab when used with
> pre-8.3 servers ? I can write a patch for this.

No - parameters are used in all versions of PostgreSQL. You can only
add/remove them when creating the function though, not when editing it
(because that would change the signature, thus making it a new function).

/D

Date:
Dave Page a écrit :
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> zoran a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Do buttons Add and Remove in Parameters tab have purpose?
>>>
>> They have when you're connected to a PostgreSQL 8.3 server.
>>
>> Dave, do you think we should hide the parameters' tab when used with
>> pre-8.3 servers ? I can write a patch for this.
>
> No - parameters are used in all versions of PostgreSQL. You can only
> add/remove them when creating the function though, not when editing it
> (because that would change the signature, thus making it a new function).

I thought it was an 8.3 new feature ?

--

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :
>> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

>>> They have when you're connected to a PostgreSQL 8.3 server.
>>>
>>> Dave, do you think we should hide the parameters' tab when used with
>>> pre-8.3 servers ? I can write a patch for this.
>> No - parameters are used in all versions of PostgreSQL. You can only
>> add/remove them when creating the function though, not when editing it
>> (because that would change the signature, thus making it a new function).
>>

> I thought it was an 8.3 new feature ?

eh?

You cannot change foo(int, int) to foo(int, int, int) because it would
become a whole new function. Thus you can only add/remove parameters at
initial design time.

/D

Date:
Dave Page a écrit :
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Dave Page a écrit :

>>> No - parameters are used in all versions of PostgreSQL. You can only
>>> add/remove them when creating the function though, not when editing it
>>> (because that would change the signature, thus making it a new function).
>>>
>> I thought it was an 8.3 new feature ?
>
> eh?
>
> You cannot change foo(int, int) to foo(int, int, int) because it would
> become a whole new function. Thus you can only add/remove parameters at
> initial design time.

OK, we're not talking about the same thing. I was referring to session
parameters that can be added to functions in 8.3 :)

Now that I re-read the mail subject, my answer was completely wrong.

Sorry about his.

--

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :
>> You cannot change foo(int, int) to foo(int, int, int) because it would
>> become a whole new function. Thus you can only add/remove parameters at
>> initial design time.
>>

> OK, we're not talking about the same thing. I was referring to session
> parameters that can be added to functions in 8.3 :)

Ah, those would be what we refer to as variables :-)

> Now that I re-read the mail subject, my answer was completely wrong.
>
> Sorry about his.

No problem.

/D

Date:
Dave Page a écrit :
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Dave Page a écrit :
>>> You cannot change foo(int, int) to foo(int, int, int) because it would
>>> become a whole new function. Thus you can only add/remove parameters at
>>> initial design time.
>>>
>> OK, we're not talking about the same thing. I was referring to session
>> parameters that can be added to functions in 8.3 :)
>
> Ah, those would be what we refer to as variables :-)

You're right. My question is still open : should we hide or disable tabs
when informations are not available for the selected server ? for
exemple the variables tab for a pre-8.3 server...

--

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :
>> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>>>
>>> OK, we're not talking about the same thing. I was referring to session
>>> parameters that can be added to functions in 8.3 :)
>> Ah, those would be what we refer to as variables :-)
>>

> You're right. My question is still open : should we hide or disable tabs
> when informations are not available for the selected server ? for
> exemple the variables tab for a pre-8.3 server...

No, we don't do that elsewhere I don't think so we shouldn't here either.

/D