question about connection settings

From
"Jack"
Date:
Hi, all

I tried to use "set search_path to x1, x2, public" for postgreSQL when doing a connection. After that, I won't specify schema for any database object in sql, or plpgsql for postgreSQL will search it by the order I set at the connection. While with pgAdmin, I can't find such a connection settings which I can do "set seach_path". If I open an sql window to do it, the pgAdmin didn't get the search path. It seems every sql window has its own connection. Is that possible to let sql window use the same connection with the pgAdmin? Thank you jin advance!

Jack

Re: question about connection settings

From
Dave Page
Jack wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I tried to use "set search_path to x1, x2, public" for postgreSQL
> when doing a connection. After that, I won't specify schema for
> any database object in sql, or plpgsql for postgreSQL will search it by
> the order I set at the connection. While with pgAdmin, I can't find such
> a connection settings which I can do "set seach_path". If I open an sql
> window to do it, the pgAdmin didn't get the search path. It seems every
> sql window has its own connection. Is that possible to let sql window
> use the same connection with the pgAdmin? Thank you jin advance!

No, thats not possible, nor is is ever likely to be (consider what would
happen if you started browsing objects in the treeview whilst a long
running query was executing).

You could just set the search_path as the first query in the query tool,
or as a parameter of your user account.

Regards, Dave

Re: question about connection settings

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Dave Page a écrit :
> Jack wrote:
>> Hi, all
>>
>> I tried to use "set search_path to x1, x2, public" for postgreSQL
>> when doing a connection. After that, I won't specify schema for
>> any database object in sql, or plpgsql for postgreSQL will search it by
>> the order I set at the connection. While with pgAdmin, I can't find such
>> a connection settings which I can do "set seach_path". If I open an sql
>> window to do it, the pgAdmin didn't get the search path. It seems every
>> sql window has its own connection. Is that possible to let sql window
>> use the same connection with the pgAdmin? Thank you jin advance!
>
> No, thats not possible, nor is is ever likely to be (consider what would
> happen if you started browsing objects in the treeview whilst a long
> running query was executing).
>
> You could just set the search_path as the first query in the query tool,
> or as a parameter of your user account.

You can set it on the database you connect to (with ALTER DATABASE mydb
SET search_path TO ...) or on the user you use to connect to the
database (with ALTER USER myuser SET search_path TO ...).

With pgAdmin 1.8, you can also use the new Macros feature which allows
you to bind a key to a SQL macro. Whenever you will hit this key in the
query tool, the recorded query will be sent.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/    http://lfs.traduc.org/    http://docs.postgresqlfr.org/ -->

Re: question about connection settings

From
"Qulas Jack"
Date:
Guillaume,

Thank you very much! I would like to use a macro to do set search_path,
because the whole database will become in that search order when I do alter
database. But there is still a problem when writing a new function and using
either %TYPE or %ROWTYPE, postgreSQL will check whether the table exists
immediately.

Jack