Can't compile from source on CentOS 5

From
"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky"
Date:
I can't seem to compile pgAdmin3 1.6.3 on a CentOS 5 system with wxGTK
2.8.4, and nobody appears to have built the wxWidgets and pgAdmin3 RPMs
yet, presumably because they're having similar issues. Is there some
combination of older sources for wxWidgets and pgAdmin3 that will work
on CentOS 5 with the native PostgreSQL (postgresql-8.1.9-1.el5)?

Re: Can't compile from source on CentOS 5

From
Josh
Date:
Ed,

Elsewhere on this list people have recommended the FC6 versions of
wxWidgets and PGAdmin.  That should work; but personally, I compiled
wxWidgets 2.6.4 just fine (as the 2.6.3 RPM's available for FC6 aren't the
latest - 2.6.4 has some bugfixes) and I was able to compile and run
PGAdmin 1.6.3 on C5.

If I get extra time on Monday I'll make RPMs.

Cheers,
-J

Josh wrote:

> Ed,
>
> Elsewhere on this list people have recommended the FC6 versions of
> wxWidgets and PGAdmin.  That should work; but personally, I compiled
> wxWidgets 2.6.4 just fine (as the 2.6.3 RPM's available for FC6 aren't
> the latest - 2.6.4 has some bugfixes) and I was able to compile and run
> PGAdmin 1.6.3 on C5.
>
> If I get extra time on Monday I'll make RPMs.
>
> Cheers,
> -J
>
> On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to compile pgAdmin3 1.6.3 on a CentOS 5 system with wxGTK
>> 2.8.4, and nobody appears to have built the wxWidgets and pgAdmin3 RPMs
>> yet, presumably because they're having similar issues. Is there some
>> combination of older sources for wxWidgets and pgAdmin3 that will work
>> on CentOS 5 with the native PostgreSQL (postgresql-8.1.9-1.el5)?

Thanks!! I don't need RPMs if I can get the raw source compiles to work,
but I'll try the FC6 ones. I started out with the latest (wxWidgets
2.8.4 and pgadmin3 1.6.3) and that was a dismal failure. I'm currently
building wxWidgest 1.6.4 from source and I'll try the pgAdmin3 1.6.3
again when that finishes. I think I did try that once, though, and it
blew off, though not as badly as the wxWidgets 2.8.4 one did.

Re: Can't compile from source on CentOS 5

From
"Dave Page"

If it doesn't, something *really* strange is happening - pgAdmin 1.6.3 uses features only found in wx 2.8 and will
bleatif you try to use an older version.

Regards, Dave

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I probably built wxGTK incorrectly -- I found most of the things I did
wrong but apparently there are a few config settings I missed. This is a
CentOS 5 box at work, where the normal mode is to wait for stable RPMs,
not install from upstream source. ;) At home I run Gentoo where the
normal mode is to run direct from source.

Speaking of which, I'll prod Gentoo to update -- their wxGTK is 2.6.3.3
and their pgadmin3 is 1.4.3.