wrong generated sql query order

From
Miha Radej
Date:
hi!

i had opened the table properties window and on the "columns" tab
removed a column and immediately added a new one with the same name only
of different type. this change failed due to a wrong sql query order;
pgadmin had produced this
ALTER TABLE document_data ADD COLUMN locked_by text;
ALTER TABLE document_data DROP COLUMN locked_by;
instead of
ALTER TABLE document_data DROP COLUMN locked_by;
ALTER TABLE document_data ADD COLUMN locked_by text;

i am using pgadmin3 version 1.2.2 (jun 22 2005), installed from a rpm
package provided by vasilev max. i am using suse linux 9.3 and am unable
to build my own binaries on this machine so i cannot verify if this
occurs on any other versions of pgadmin3.

i apologize if this is old news but i didnt find anything similair in
the mailing list archives after a quick search.

cheers,

Re: wrong generated sql query order

From
Vasilev Max
Date:
Miha Radej wrote:
> hi!
>
> i had opened the table properties window and on the "columns" tab
> removed a column and immediately added a new one with the same name
> only of different type. this change failed due to a wrong sql query
> order; pgadmin had produced this
> ALTER TABLE document_data ADD COLUMN locked_by text;
> ALTER TABLE document_data DROP COLUMN locked_by;
> instead of
> ALTER TABLE document_data DROP COLUMN locked_by;
> ALTER TABLE document_data ADD COLUMN locked_by text;
>
> i am using pgadmin3 version 1.2.2 (jun 22 2005), installed from a rpm
> package provided by vasilev max. i am using suse linux 9.3 and am
> unable to build my own binaries on this machine so i cannot verify if
> this occurs on any other versions of pgadmin3.
>
> i apologize if this is old news but i didnt find anything similair in
> the mailing list archives after a quick search.
>
> cheers,

Hi!

Unfortunately, I can not confirm this bug. Please, show me full
structure of your table.

wbr,
Vasilev Max
pgadmin3 1.2.2 (22.06.2005)
SuSE Linux 9.3 Professional x86/x86_64

Re: wrong generated sql query order

From
Miha Radej
Date:
hi!

this happens to me on any table i've tried. here is a sample:

CREATE TABLE sampletable
(  col1 serial NOT NULL,  col2 int4
)
WITH OIDS;
ALTER TABLE sampletable OWNER TO adocuments;

this is a table in a "adocuments" schema, owned by the user "adocuments".

in the table properties pane, tab "columns" i then remove col2 and
immediately add another column, by the name of col2 and type text and
pgadmin produces the following queries:

ALTER TABLE sampletable ADD COLUMN col2 text;
ALTER TABLE sampletable DROP COLUMN col2;

i cannot at this time test this with any other version of pgadmin3 or on
any other system.

btw, thank you for having provided a suse rpm, it helps immensely as i
am atm not in position to compile it on my own :)

cheers,
Miha

Vasilev Max wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Unfortunately, I can not confirm this bug. Please, show me full
> structure of your table.

Re: wrong generated sql query order

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Miha Radej wrote:

> in the table properties pane, tab "columns" i then remove col2 and
> immediately add another column, by the name of col2 and type text and
> pgadmin produces the following queries:
>
> ALTER TABLE sampletable ADD COLUMN col2 text;
> ALTER TABLE sampletable DROP COLUMN col2;

This is a known issue. Don't do this ATM.

Regards,
Andreas