gentoo, anyone?

From
steve fox
Date:
Hi,

I've been trying to get pgadmin3 running on gentoo linux, and get the
following errors:

checking pgsql in /usr... failed
configure: error: you must specify a valid pgsql installation with
--with-pgsql=DIR

!!! ERROR: dev-db/pgadmin3-1.0.2 failed.
!!! Function econf, Line 365, Exitcode 1
!!! econf failed

Postgresql is installed, pgsql lives in /usr/local.  I've symlinked it
to /usr/pgsql thinking that would fix it, but it doesn't.  Is there a
way to pass the --with-pgsql option to emerge?  And I didn't know it was
required to have postgresql installed on the same box -- my postgres
servers are all remote.

uname -a:

2.4.22-gentoo-r1 #1 SMP Mon Dec 15 18:28:00 CST 2003 i686 AMD Athlon(tm)
XP 2200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

gcc version:

3.3.2-r5

emerge info begets:

Portage 2.0.50_pre16 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.2,
glibc-2.3.3_pre20031222-r0, 2.                   4.22-gentoo-r1)
System uname: 2.4.22-gentoo-r1 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.12
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.7.8
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /opt/tomcat/conf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
/usr/kde/2/share/co                   nfig /usr/kde/3.1/share/config
/usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /usr/sh
are/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/
/usr/share/texmf/tex/ge                   neric/config/
/usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/li         b/jboss /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs ccache sandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linu                   x/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X aavm alsa apm arts avi berkdb bonobo cdr crypt cups encode esd
evo flash fomaticdb gb gdbm ggi gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile
imap imlib innodb ipv6 java jikes jpeg kde kerberos lcms ldap leim
libg++ libgda libwww mad maildir mikmod mmx motif mozilla mpeg mysql
ncurses nls oci8 odbc oggvorbis opengl oss pam pda pdflib perl plotutils
png pnp postgres python qt quicktime radeon readline ruby samba sdl
slang spell sse ssl svga tcltk tcpd tetex tiff truetype x86 xml xml2
xmms xv zeo zlib video_cards_radeon"

TIA for any advice,

Steve

Re: gentoo, anyone?

From
"Dave Page"

Did you try:

./configure --with-pgsql=/usr/local

> Postgresql is installed, pgsql lives in /usr/local.  I've
> symlinked it to /usr/pgsql thinking that would fix it, but it
> doesn't.  Is there a way to pass the --with-pgsql option to
> emerge?

What's emerge?

> And I didn't know it was required to have postgresql
> installed on the same box -- my postgres servers are all remote.

You need it for the libpq client library. The server itself doesn't need
to be running, or even initdb'ed. If you make a static build of pgAdmin,
then you can even get rid of it after your build is complete.

Regards, Dave.

Re: gentoo, anyone?

From
steve fox
Date:
Hi, Dave -

Comments below.

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

No.  See, the deal with gentoo is you don't run the typical .configure
and make commands to build your packages.  Rather you use 'emerge,'
which is a command to build packages in gentoo linux.

>>Postgresql is installed, pgsql lives in /usr/local.  I've
>>symlinked it to /usr/pgsql thinking that would fix it, but it
>>doesn't.  Is there a way to pass the --with-pgsql option to
>>emerge?
>

> What's emerge?

something like BSD ports and debian packages.  You sync up with the
mothership tree to stay current.  Normally one would handle .configre
[options] with a setting in a variable called $USE, but I'm not able to
find it in this case.

>>And I didn't know it was required to have postgresql
>>installed on the same box -- my postgres servers are all remote.
>

> You need it for the libpq client library. The server itself doesn't need
> to be running, or even initdb'ed. If you make a static build of pgAdmin,
> then you can even get rid of it after your build is complete.
>
> Regards, Dave.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: gentoo, anyone?

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Steve, I've CC'd this to Adam, our configure expert...

> No.  See, the deal with gentoo is you don't run the typical
> .configure and make commands to build your packages.  Rather
> you use 'emerge,'
> which is a command to build packages in gentoo linux.

Ahh, I see. Ok, presumably though, before a package can be build wit
emerge, we still need to get configure/make to run OK.

If you fancy lending a hand, perhaps we can figure out what's required
to get pga3 to be friends with Gentoo? If so, I think the first step is
probably to do a normal ./configure and make sure that it can find
anything it needs.

> something like BSD ports and debian packages.  You sync up
> with the mothership tree to stay current.  Normally one would
> handle .configre [options] with a setting in a variable
> called $USE, but I'm not able to find it in this case.

How does it normally get set? Does emerge look for some sort of settings
file in the distribution?

Adam; do you have any experience with Gentoo?

Regards, Dave.

Re: gentoo, anyone?

From
steve fox
Date:
Sure, I'd be happy to help.  But probably not this weekend, I have a
birthday party for my nephew and a house full of people to contend with.

I'll try building the package manually, maybe tonight.  I've been
spoiled with portage (emerge), I guess.

USE settings are taken from a file called make.conf, which is used for
all builds to determine things like cpu type, video cards and so forth.  This gives you a very optimized system.

Have a look:

http://www.gentoo.org

Portage manual
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml

gentoo USE guide
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/use-howto.xml

Thanks,

Steve

--
Tired of e-mail viruses and web browser pop-up windows?
Get Mozilla at http://www.mozilla.org

Sick of paying hundreds of $$ for MS Office and licensing hassles?
Get the award-winning OpenOffice at http://www.openoffice.org

Both are free and open source.

Re: gentoo, anyone?

From
"James H. Cloos Jr."
Date:
As of postgresql-7.4.1-r2.ebuild the pgsql includes have been
moved again; this time from /usr/include/postgresql/pgsql to
just /usr/include/postgresql.

So if you are at 7.4.1-r2 link to postgresql/* rather than
to postgresql/pgsql/*.

-JimC

Re: gentoo, anyone?

From
steve fox
Date:
Excellent.  Thank you so much.  Works like a charm.

--

Date:

steve> I've been trying to get pgadmin3 running on gentoo linux, and
steve> get the following errors:

steve> checking pgsql in /usr... failed configure: error: you must
steve> specify a valid pgsql installation with --with-pgsql=DIR

They moved the pgsql includes out of /usr/include and into
/usr/include/postgresql/pgsql in the lastest ebuilds.

I got the pgadmin3 ebuild to install by running:
 cd /usr/include && ln -s postgresql/pgsql/* .

before emerging pgadmin3.

-JimC

Re: gentoo, anyone?

From
"Dave Page"

Thanks for letting us know Jim.

Steve: glad you're working now.

Adam: is it appropriate to add this location as somewhere configure will
look for PostgreSQL, or should we include this as a documentation
update?

Regards,Dave.

Re: gentoo, anyone?

From
"Adam H. Pendleton"
Dave Page wrote:

>Adam: is it appropriate to add this location as somewhere configure will
>look for PostgreSQL, or should we include this as a documentation
>update?

It's a fairly trivial task to add this to the pgsql search path, so I'll
go ahead and write a patch that does just that.

ahp