Problem with pgAdmin3 on Fedora

From
"Fernando J. Leal"
Date:
Greetings!

pgAdmin3 doesn't work on Fedora Core 1 after updating from Red Hat 9
like it used to because libcom_err.so.3 is not included in the Kerberos
packages Fedora now uses.

Would it be possible for someone to build a pgAdmin3 RPM for Fedora? I
tryed, but I miss some libraries needed to compile it.

Thank you very much.

Re: Problem with pgAdmin3 on Fedora

From
"Devrim GUNDUZ"
Date:
Hi,

---------- Original Message -----------
From: "Fernando J. Leal" <fjleal@ingeniumatica.com>
To: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
Sent: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:09:24 +0000
Subject: [pgadmin-support] Problem with pgAdmin3 on Fedora

> pgAdmin3 doesn't work on Fedora Core 1 after updating from Red Hat 9
> like it used to because libcom_err.so.3 is not included in the
> Kerberos packages Fedora now uses.
>
> Would it be possible for someone to build a pgAdmin3 RPM for Fedora?
> I tryed, but I miss some libraries needed to compile it.

I intended to build one now, but I could not find a SRPM in my nearest mirror.
I just have a test.txt file in that directory, and it just says "Hello" :)

"ftp://ftp.tr.postgresql.org/pub/SQL/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/SRPMS/test.txt"

Hackers, where were the SRPMS?

Regards,

Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim@gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr         http://www.tdmsoft.com
http://www.gunduz.org

Re: Problem with pgAdmin3 on Fedora

From
"Dave Page"

Dunno about the release ones - Jean-Michel?

Snapshot ones are at http://snake.pgadmin.org/snapshots/linux/SRPMS/

Regards, Dave.

Re: Problem with pgAdmin3 on Fedora

From
"Devrim GUNDUZ"
> Dunno about the release ones - Jean-Michel?
>
> Snapshot ones are at http://snake.pgadmin.org/snapshots/linux/SRPMS/

Ok hold on. I'm building packages.
I'll rebuild wxWindows for FC1, then build pgadmin3 for FC1.

Devrim

Re: Problem with pgAdmin3 on Fedora

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Vendredi 14 Novembre 2003 12:41, Devrim GUNDUZ a écrit :
> I intended to build one now, but I could not find a SRPM in my nearest
> mirror. I just have a test.txt file in that directory, and it just says
> "Hello" :)
> "ftp://ftp.tr.postgresql.org/pub/SQL/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/SRPMS/test
>.txt"

Dear Devrim,

My fault. Uploading the file now. As Dave wrote, you should better use the
SRPM snapshot, as it includes the latest fixes. To rebuild :

1) wxGTK-2.5.1

Only use pgadmin wxGTK-2.5 version as it includes several patches. You can
download source and binary RPMs from http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/snapshots/
wxwindows.

To ease installation, it is recommanded to install wxGTK2ud binary RPMs.
Otherwise, if you need to rebuild from source SRPM:

rpmbuild --rebuild wxGTK2ud-2.5-xxxx.src.rpm 2>&1 | tee
wxGTK2ud-2.5-xxxx.log

Read the log file and make sure the needed libraries are included in your
system (if they are not, install them using the stock RPMs for your distro).

For example, under RedHat 9, the log includes:

Configured wxWindows 2.5.1 for `i686-pc-linux-gnu'

  Which GUI toolkit should wxWindows use?                 GTK
  Should wxWindows be compiled into single library?       yes
  Should wxWindows be compiled in debug mode?             yes
  Should wxWindows be linked as a shared library?         no
  Should wxWindows be compiled in Unicode mode?           yes
  What level of wxWindows compatibility should be enabled?
                                       wxWindows 2.2      no
                                       wxWindows 2.4      yes
  Which libraries should wxWindows use?
                                       jpeg               sys
                                       png                sys
                                       regex              sys
                                       tiff               sys
                                       zlib               sys
                                       odbc               no
                                       expat              sys
                                       libmspack          no

The absence of ODBC and limmspack is normal as ODBC is not supported in a
Unicode build by default and limspack is brand new. Other libraries (jpeg,
png, etc...) should have the 'sys' flag on.

2) Then, rebuild the pgAdmin3 binary RPM from Snapshots.

rpmbuild --rebuild pgadmin3-xxx-src.rpm 2>&1 | tee log.txt

This will allow you to send us the log in case of problem.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel

Re: Problem with pgAdmin3 on Fedora

From
"Devrim GUNDUZ"
> Only use pgadmin wxGTK-2.5 version as it includes several patches.
> You can download source and binary RPMs from
http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/snapshots/
> wxwindows.
>
> To ease installation, it is recommanded to install wxGTK2ud binary
> RPMs. Otherwise, if you need to rebuild from source SRPM:

rebuilt of wxWindows failed on FC1, since I do not have to look at the erros
and fix it, I just used the rpms for RH :))

Ok, I've successfully rebuild the pgadmin3 rpm for FC 1.

Here is the log file of FC1:
Configured wxWindows 2.5.1 for `i686-pc-linux-gnu' Which GUI toolkit should wxWindows use?                 GTK Should
wxWindowsbe compiled into single library?       yes Should wxWindows be compiled in debug mode?             yes Should
wxWindowsbe linked as a shared library?         no Should wxWindows be compiled in Unicode mode?           yes What
levelof wxWindows compatibility should be enabled?                                      wxWindows 2.2      no
                          wxWindows 2.4      yes Which libraries should wxWindows use?
   jpeg               builtin                                      png                builtin
          regex              sys                                      tiff               builtin
             zlib               sys                                      odbc               no
           expat              sys                                      libmspack          no

I'm trying to upload the rpm; I'll post the URL to this list when it's ready.

Date:
Le Vendredi 14 Novembre 2003 22:39, Devrim GUNDUZ a écrit :
>                                        jpeg               builtin
>                                        png                builtin
>                                        tiff               builtin

Dear Devrim,

These libraries should display "sys". You need:
libtiff-devel-3.5.7-11.i386.rpm
libpng-devel-1.2.2-16.i386.rpm
libjpeg-devel-6b-26.i386.rpm

I am adding them to dependencies, but without version.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Date:

Date:
Le Dimanche 16 Novembre 2003 11:29, Devrim GUNDUZ a écrit :
> Heh heh you're right but I think I've pasted the wrong output. As you've
> suggested now; I've installed those rpms after the first test. The rpm I
> built works on FC 1.

Dear Devrim,

Fine. Generally, it is not recommanded to use builtin JPEG, TIFF or PNG
libraries for wxWindows. Fefora provides a script for finding buildrequires
libraries called "fedora-rmdevelrpms":

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/HOWTOFindMissingBuildRequires

It would be nice to use it in the case of Fedora. But I don't know if the
names of libraries would be coherent in the case of other distributions.
Therefore, it might not be worth adding all BuildRequires dependencies.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel