pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests

From
"Mark A. Taff"
Date:
First off, thank you Dave, et. al. for continuing your work and creating
pgAdmin III.  Below are some Bugs/Feature requests.

Font name and size settings in help: bug reporting: options dialog are not
saved between uses

HTML help/documentation broswer does not allow setting/saving font name/sizes

Generally speaking, all controls on all dialog boxes are too small, and fonts
are too big, thus rendering it very difficult to guess what the control is
for, or in some cases, making it impossible to use a control at all.

Fonts and sizes used in treeview and listview cannot be set.

File->Options->Query->Font... settings are not saved until pgAdmin is closed

Main toolbar icons are too large

In data grid, double-clicking column header separator should expand column
width to auto-fit column contents, don't you think?

In the treeview, when I have `Tables` highlighted, then right-click on
`Views`, the popup menus should allow me to make a new View, not a table.
Alternately, expand the `New Object` submenu to offer items for all main
objects (aggregates through views).

Most of these issues likely stem from the fact I am working at 1280 x 1024 on
a 19" monitor.

System Info:
AMD Athalon XP 2400
1 GB RAM
SuSE Linux 8.2
KDE 3.1.1
PG 7.3.2

Installed from: pgadmin3-0.9-20030806.1386.rpm

Regards,
Mark

Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
It's rumoured that Mark A. Taff once said:
> First off, thank you Dave, et. al. for continuing your work and

You're welcome.

> Font name and size settings in help: bug reporting: options dialog are
> not  saved between uses

I'll have to check that.

> HTML help/documentation broswer does not allow setting/saving font
> name/sizes

The browser is not written by us unfortunately, but by the wxWindows
people. I don't think we can easily change it's settings.

> Generally speaking, all controls on all dialog boxes are too small, and
> fonts  are too big, thus rendering it very difficult to guess what the
> control is  for, or in some cases, making it impossible to use a
> control at all.

That sound's like the metrics on your system are a little odd. The
controls are generally sized to take the text from any of the languages we
support (in theory). I assume you're using English, which should fit fine.
Any chance of a screen shot?
> Fonts and sizes used in treeview and listview cannot be set.

Again, I'll have to check when I have the source to hand (I'm on my
daughter's PC right now).
> File->Options->Query->Font... settings are not saved until pgAdmin is
> closed

No, most settings are not saved until program close. I intend to tidy that
up.
> Main toolbar icons are too large

They should be the standard size for your window manager - can you get a
screen shot please.
> In data grid, double-clicking column header separator should expand
> column  width to auto-fit column contents, don't you think?

Yes, eventually it should. I would also like sorting by clicking on the
column headers in some cases.
> In the treeview, when I have `Tables` highlighted, then right-click on
> `Views`, the popup menus should allow me to make a new View, not a
> table.   Alternately, expand the `New Object` submenu to offer items
> for all main  objects (aggregates through views).

That is the intended behaviour. You click a view (left or right) and
that's what it tries to create.
> Most of these issues likely stem from the fact I am working at 1280 x
> 1024 on  a 19" monitor.

I run 1600 x 1280 on a 21" monitor!

Regards, Dave

Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Hi Mark,

Mark A. Taff wrote:

>Font name and size settings in help: bug reporting: options dialog are not
>saved between uses

Can't reproduce this, works for me. Is ~/.pgadmin3 write protected or
sth like that?

>HTML help/documentation broswer does not allow setting/saving font name/sizes

Do we need that?

>Generally speaking, all controls on all dialog boxes are too small, and fonts
>are too big, thus rendering it very difficult to guess what the control is
>for, or in some cases, making it impossible to use a control at all.

Shouldn't be, sounds like you use a version with wxWindows 2.4. There
have been major fixes for correct font sizing in 2.5.

>Fonts and sizes used in treeview and listview cannot be set.

By design.

>File->Options->Query->Font... settings are not saved until pgAdmin is closed

This is for the sql tool window only, to obtain monospaced display for
Latin languages, and other for non-Latin. It's effective as soon as the
options dialog is closed with OK.

>Main toolbar icons are too large

It's a matter of taste; IMHO you're right. Are there other votes about
this? Who contributes other bitmaps?

>In data grid, double-clicking column header separator should expand column
>width to auto-fit column contents, don't you think?

This is a problem, because the grid fills on-demand, so we don't know
which size we will need until a row is actually displayed.

>In the treeview, when I have `Tables` highlighted, then right-click on
>`Views`, the popup menus should allow me to make a new View, not a table.
>Alternately, expand the `New Object` submenu to offer items for all main
>objects (aggregates through views).

This is a misleading gtk behaviour I also noticed. For win32, a right
click will also mark the underlying node, gtk doesn't. I'll change this.

>Most of these issues likely stem from the fact I am working at 1280 x 1024 on
>a 19" monitor.

I don't think so, we all prefer big desktops.

Date:
On Friday 08 August 2003 12:01, you wrote:
> It's rumoured that Mark A. Taff once said:
> > First off, thank you Dave, et. al. for continuing your work and
>
> You're welcome.
>
> > Font name and size settings in help: bug reporting: options dialog are
> > not  saved between uses
>
> I'll have to check that.
>
> > HTML help/documentation broswer does not allow setting/saving font
> > name/sizes
>
> The browser is not written by us unfortunately, but by the wxWindows
> people. I don't think we can easily change it's settings.

Could we perhaps then allow a custom doc browser?  Konqi can do a fine job, if
I could tell it to open all docs with Konqi instead of the wxWindows browser.

> > Generally speaking, all controls on all dialog boxes are too small, and
> > fonts  are too big, thus rendering it very difficult to guess what the
> > control is  for, or in some cases, making it impossible to use a
> > control at all.
>
> That sound's like the metrics on your system are a little odd. The
> controls are generally sized to take the text from any of the languages we
> support (in theory). I assume you're using English, which should fit fine.
> Any chance of a screen shot?

Certainly.  However, I don't have web-publishing capabilities right now, so I
will send them directly to anyone who wants them (yours are on the way,
Dave).

> > Fonts and sizes used in treeview and listview cannot be set.
>
> Again, I'll have to check when I have the source to hand (I'm on my
> daughter's PC right now).
>
> > File->Options->Query->Font... settings are not saved until pgAdmin is
> > closed
>
> No, most settings are not saved until program close. I intend to tidy that
> up.

Cool. Thanks.

> > Main toolbar icons are too large
>
> They should be the standard size for your window manager - can you get a
> screen shot please.
>
> > In data grid, double-clicking column header separator should expand
> > column  width to auto-fit column contents, don't you think?
>
> Yes, eventually it should. I would also like sorting by clicking on the
> column headers in some cases.
>
> > In the treeview, when I have `Tables` highlighted, then right-click on
> > `Views`, the popup menus should allow me to make a new View, not a
> > table.   Alternately, expand the `New Object` submenu to offer items
> > for all main  objects (aggregates through views).
>
> That is the intended behaviour. You click a view (left or right) and
> that's what it tries to create.

Yes, I agree, but that's my point, it _doesn't_. :o  I first need to highlight
the item and then right click to bring up the popup menu, when simply
right-clicking (regardless of whether it was highlighted or not) it out to
do, yes?

> > Most of these issues likely stem from the fact I am working at 1280 x
> > 1024 on  a 19" monitor.
>
> I run 1600 x 1280 on a 21" monitor!

Hmmm....Am I being a wimp?  Maybe I should increase my resolution....:)

FYI, I am using wxGTK(Windows) version 2.4.  I'll have to compile my own if I
want 2.5.

Regards,
Mark

Date:
On Friday 08 August 2003 12:01, you wrote:
> Hi Mark,

Hi Andreas,

> Mark A. Taff wrote:
> >Font name and size settings in help: bug reporting: options dialog are not
> >saved between uses
>
> Can't reproduce this, works for me. Is ~/.pgadmin3 write protected or
> sth like that?

I can repreduce.  All can read it, I (`mark`) can write to it.

> >HTML help/documentation broswer does not allow setting/saving font
> > name/sizes
>
> Do we need that?

I think so, IMHO.  Either that or allow alternate doc viewers.  I paid for
this large monitor and video card so I could have more screen real estate,
and it kind of defeats the purpose to have such huge (relatively) font sizes
used.

> >Generally speaking, all controls on all dialog boxes are too small, and
> > fonts are too big, thus rendering it very difficult to guess what the
> > control is for, or in some cases, making it impossible to use a control
> > at all.
>
> Shouldn't be, sounds like you use a version with wxWindows 2.4. There
> have been major fixes for correct font sizing in 2.5.
>
> >Fonts and sizes used in treeview and listview cannot be set.
>
> By design.

Why?  Smaller fonts work better for me, and allow me to make the most of my
screen real estate.

> >File->Options->Query->Font... settings are not saved until pgAdmin is
> > closed
>
> This is for the sql tool window only, to obtain monospaced display for
> Latin languages, and other for non-Latin. It's effective as soon as the
> options dialog is closed with OK.

Doesn't do that for me... :o   I've checked again, and it doesn't apply until
after pgAdmin is closed and reopened.

> >Main toolbar icons are too large
>
> It's a matter of taste; IMHO you're right. Are there other votes about
> this? Who contributes other bitmaps?

I wouldn't mind, but my time is extremely limited right now. Debugging is
about the most time I can spare.

> >In data grid, double-clicking column header separator should expand column
> >width to auto-fit column contents, don't you think?
>
> This is a problem, because the grid fills on-demand, so we don't know
> which size we will need until a row is actually displayed.

MS Access 2000 handles this by autofitting to the width of widest *currently
viewable* column data.  Whether this is "The Right Way" or not is left as an
excercise for the reader.

> >In the treeview, when I have `Tables` highlighted, then right-click on
> >`Views`, the popup menus should allow me to make a new View, not a table.
> >Alternately, expand the `New Object` submenu to offer items for all main
> >objects (aggregates through views).
>
> This is a misleading gtk behaviour I also noticed. For win32, a right
> click will also mark the underlying node, gtk doesn't. I'll change this.

Awesome! You rock.

> >Most of these issues likely stem from the fact I am working at 1280 x 1024
> > on a 19" monitor.
>
> I don't think so, we all prefer big desktops.
>
> >System Info:
> >AMD Athalon XP 2400
> >1 GB RAM
> >SuSE Linux 8.2
> >KDE 3.1.1
> >PG 7.3.2
> >
> >Installed from: pgadmin3-0.9-20030806.1386.rpm

FYI, also using wxGTK(Windows) 2.4

Regards,
Mark

Date:
It's rumoured that Mark A. Taff once said:

> Could we perhaps then allow a custom doc browser?  Konqi can do a fine
> job, if  I could tell it to open all docs with Konqi instead of the
> wxWindows browser.

I'll need convincing on that. What real benefit would you get other than
the font size in the dialogue?
>> That is the intended behaviour. You click a view (left or right) and
>> that's what it tries to create.
>
> Yes, I agree, but that's my point, it _doesn't_. :o  I first need to
> highlight  the item and then right click to bring up the popup menu,
> when simply  right-clicking (regardless of whether it was highlighted
> or not) it out to  do, yes?

Ahh, I see. Sorry, I misunderstood what you said.

>> > Most of these issues likely stem from the fact I am working at 1280
>> > x 1024 on  a 19" monitor.
>>
>> I run 1600 x 1280 on a 21" monitor!
>
> Hmmm....Am I being a wimp?  Maybe I should increase my resolution....:)

Well, 1280x1024 is a bit low. I used to run that on my XT ;-)

> FYI, I am using wxGTK(Windows) version 2.4.  I'll have to compile my
> own if I  want 2.5.

Ahh, there's 90% of your problems then. wx2.5 has vastly improved sizing
code in it. I would seriously consider taking a look - you will find our
patched snapshot of wxWindows on our ftp servers. Installation
instructions are in unix_compilation.html in the pgAdmin docs.
Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests

From
"Mark A. Taff"
Date:
On Saturday 09 August 2003 01:59, Dave Page wrote:

<snip>

> >> I run 1600 x 1280 on a 21" monitor!
> >
> > Hmmm....Am I being a wimp?  Maybe I should increase my resolution....:)
>
> Well, 1280x1024 is a bit low. I used to run that on my XT ;-)
>
> > FYI, I am using wxGTK(Windows) version 2.4.  I'll have to compile my
> > own if I  want 2.5.
>
> Ahh, there's 90% of your problems then. wx2.5 has vastly improved sizing
> code in it. I would seriously consider taking a look - you will find our
> patched snapshot of wxWindows on our ftp servers. Installation
> instructions are in unix_compilation.html in the pgAdmin docs.
> Regards, Dave.

I changed my resolution to 1600 x 1200, reduced my fonts globally to 8pt,
installed wxGTK 2.5, and the text/controls/forms are still sized such that
they are clipped, rendering the controls/forms difficult (in some cases,
nearly impossible) to use.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Date:
Mark A. Taff wrote:

>On Saturday 09 August 2003 01:59, Dave Page wrote:
>
><snip>

>>>Hmmm....Am I being a wimp?  Maybe I should increase my resolution....:)
>>>

>>Well, 1280x1024 is a bit low. I used to run that on my XT ;-)
>>

>>>FYI, I am using wxGTK(Windows) version 2.4.  I'll have to compile my
>>>own if I  want 2.5.
>>>

>>Ahh, there's 90% of your problems then. wx2.5 has vastly improved sizing
>>code in it. I would seriously consider taking a look - you will find our
>>patched snapshot of wxWindows on our ftp servers. Installation
>>instructions are in unix_compilation.html in the pgAdmin docs.
>>Regards, Dave.
>>

>I changed my resolution to 1600 x 1200, reduced my fonts globally to 8pt,
>installed wxGTK 2.5, and the text/controls/forms are still sized such that
>they are clipped, rendering the controls/forms difficult (in some cases,
>nearly impossible) to use.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Mark,

please double- and triplecheck if you're really compiling and linking
against wxGTK 2.5. This bad metrics behaviour has only been observed
with 2.4, but never with 2.5. If you look at pgAdmin Makefile, LIBS will
reference the wx library.
BTW, I'm running 1152*864.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests

From
"Mark A. Taff"
Date:
On Thursday 14 August 2003 01:28, Andreas Pflug wrote:
All,I have finally been able to compile wxGTK w/o errors (I had to install some
more devel rpm's and become intimate with pkg-config).  I also compiled
pgAdmin3 from cvs source just now.  Per Andreas' suggestion, I am indeed
linking against wxGTK 2.5.  However, I am still having the same display
issues, to wit:

Label fonts are too large, being cut off by other controls
Some controls likewise are cut off by the window edges

I also noticed a problem with CSS that may be relevent.  Konquerer applies CSS
properly, displaying the documentation in traditionall Postgres blue, etc.
However the builtin help browser does not seem to apply the CSS. IMHO this is
the cause for the gigantic fonts in the help browser.

Could a CSS/XML issue be the root of my problem? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Date:
Mark A. Taff wrote:

>On Thursday 14 August 2003 01:28, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>All,
>    I have finally been able to compile wxGTK w/o errors (I had to install some
>more devel rpm's and become intimate with pkg-config).  I also compiled
>pgAdmin3 from cvs source just now.  Per Andreas' suggestion, I am indeed
>linking against wxGTK 2.5.  However, I am still having the same display
>issues, to wit:
>
>Label fonts are too large, being cut off by other controls
>Some controls likewise are cut off by the window edges

There's obviously a bad default font configured on your system. We had a
thread about how to fix this, unfortunately we didn't put this into the
FAQ immediately.

>I also noticed a problem with CSS that may be relevent.  Konquerer applies CSS
>properly, displaying the documentation in traditionall Postgres blue, etc.
>However the builtin help browser does not seem to apply the CSS. IMHO this is
>the cause for the gigantic fonts in the help browser.
>
>Could a CSS/XML issue be the root of my problem? Any ideas?

The help browser doesn't support CSS, but that's not the reason for the
bad display. We implicitely use the system's font.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests

From
blacknoz@club-internet.fr
Date:
Hi Mark,

Here is the result of the thread Andreas was talking about:

Try to put something like this in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file and tell us if it solves the problem.

<---------cut here------------------->
tyle "defaultfont"
{font_name = "Arial 8"
}
widget_class "*" style "defaultfont"
<---------cut here------------------->

You can find the entire thread on wx-users list:
http://lists.wxwindows.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?8:mss:44237:200309:jgdnbjmpiagpccbpjnpb

Regards,
Raphaël
>>On Thursday 14 August 2003 01:28, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>>All,
>>    I have finally been able to compile wxGTK w/o errors (I had to install some
>>more devel rpm's and become intimate with pkg-config).  I also compiled
>>pgAdmin3 from cvs source just now.  Per Andreas' suggestion, I am indeed
>>linking against wxGTK 2.5.  However, I am still having the same display
>>issues, to wit:
>>
>>Label fonts are too large, being cut off by other controls
>>Some controls likewise are cut off by the window edges
>>
>There's obviously a bad default font configured on your system. We had a
>thread about how to fix this, unfortunately we didn't put this into the
>FAQ immediately.
>

>>I also noticed a problem with CSS that may be relevent.  Konquerer applies CSS
>>properly, displaying the documentation in traditionall Postgres blue, etc.
>>However the builtin help browser does not seem to apply the CSS. IMHO this is
>>the cause for the gigantic fonts in the help browser.
>>
>>Could a CSS/XML issue be the root of my problem? Any ideas?
>>
>The help browser doesn't support CSS, but that's not the reason for the
>bad display. We implicitely use the system's font.
>
>Regards,
>Andreas

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests - Solution

From
"Mark A. Taff"
Date:
So then, on a default SuSE 8.2/KDE (with a full gnome install as well), and
running pgadmin3 under KDE:

Add the lines Raphael suggested (below) to the file `etc/X11/gtk2rc-keramik`,
then restart pgadmin3.  This will adjust the font & font size pgadmin3 uses.
Note that only arial 7 works well.  Other fonts and/or larger sizes cut off
controls.  I also installed 100dpi fonts, and changed gnome's default to
render fonts at 120 dpi, as this minimized the differrence in rendering fonts
between the desktops.

The other problem, namely fonts and/or controls on the forms being cropped is
due to the xml-based *.xrc files that pgadmin uses to create the
dialogs/forms.  The problem is they are designed to be static.  This is fine
if they are only used for one language and one font size combination.

This is likely, IMHO, the reason why the pgadmin3 team made distinct forms for
every language supported by pgadmin3.  However, this only solves half the
problem.  If you need or want to use a font/fontsize that renders larger than
arial 7-8 does, then text and controls will be clipped.  For example, arial
10 makes pgadmin3 completely unusable on my setup.

IMHO, these xrc files should be using "sizers" to ensure suitable form
rendering at various fonts/font sizes (and maybe among various languages as
well).  The general rule of thumb, gleaned from the wxWindows website and
other wxWindows developers' sites is that one sizer should be used for each
control.  Doing this should solve this problem.  One consequence of doing
this would be to increase the size of the xrc files by about 3-4 times.  This
may be an issue on slower systems or systems with poor xml parsers.

I will be redesigning these forms to use sizers, starting with frmOptions,
which I will submit to pgadmin-hackers to get feedback on whether the
developers want to pursue this with the remaining forms and add them to the
distribution.

Thanks for all of your help, and congrats to the developers and testers on
reaching v1.0!

Regards,
Mark

Date:
Mark A. Taff wrote:

>So then, on a default SuSE 8.2/KDE (with a full gnome install as well), and
>running pgadmin3 under KDE:
>
>Add the lines Raphael suggested (below) to the file `etc/X11/gtk2rc-keramik`,
>then restart pgadmin3.  This will adjust the font & font size pgadmin3 uses.
>Note that only arial 7 works well.

That's strange, on my system it's about 10-11pt.

>Other fonts and/or larger sizes cut off
>controls.  I also installed 100dpi fonts, and changed gnome's default to
>render fonts at 120 dpi, as this minimized the differrence in rendering fonts
>between the desktops.
>The other problem, namely fonts and/or controls on the forms being cropped is
>due to the xml-based *.xrc files that pgadmin uses to create the
>dialogs/forms.  The problem is they are designed to be static.  This is fine
>if they are only used for one language and one font size combination.
>
>This is likely, IMHO, the reason why the pgadmin3 team made distinct forms for
>every language supported by pgadmin3.

??? We don't have distinct forms, there's only one design for any dialog.

>  However, this only solves half the
>problem.  If you need or want to use a font/fontsize that renders larger than
>arial 7-8 does, then text and controls will be clipped.  For example, arial
>10 makes pgadmin3 completely unusable on my setup.
>
>IMHO, these xrc files should be using "sizers" to ensure suitable form
>rendering at various fonts/font sizes (and maybe among various languages as
>well).

*NO*.
This destroys dialog design, remaining is merely a control collection.
Sizings have been selected deliberately, and I'm not willing to let this
to some arbitrary OS behaviour.
What I'd like is automatic *metrics* resizing, i.e. recalculating
dialogs according to font properties. This is not to be done in the XRC
files, but by wxWindows when loading the XRC files. This would mean,
that e.g. a text control, now 200x20 pixel and capable for 32 characters
at std font, will be resized according to the font, to still be
32char-capable, not more, not less, but sized e.g. 400x40 for a
double-sized font.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests - Solution

From
"Mark A. Taff"
Date:
Andreas, are you talking about something like wxMatrixSizer as described at:

http://wxworkshop.sourceforge.net/matrixx/default.html

I can appreciate that you want this fixed The Right Way(tm).  I am the same
way when it comes to stuff I do.  And I can certainly appreciate the beauty
of having wxWindows automatically resize and re-layout dialogs based on font
properties.  However, I am in the position where I _have_ to change all the
.xrc files to make pgadmin3 usable on my machine.

Do you have another solution to making the dialogs usable on my machine other
than rewriting the .xrc files?  I've been at this for a month of my spare
time (granted, my spare time is rather limited), and I haven't come across
any other workable solutions.

Thanks.

Regards,
Mark