PATCH: Add missing nodes to graphical explain plan

From
"J.F. Oster"
Date:
Hello,

Per recent discussion on pgadmin-support ("index only scans are not
shown graphically"),

JFO> Insert
JFO> Update
JFO> Foreign Scan
JFO> Index Only Scan
JFO> BitmapAnd
JFO> BitmapOr
JFO> Values Scan (shows up as a Seq Scan)
JFO> LockRows
+ Merge Append.

Please note, that besides 10 new icons there are two icons for
existing nodes in the attachment, Bitmap Heap Scan and Bitmap Index
Scan.
I've changed them for unity with BitmapOr, BitmapAnd, which hopefully
will result in an intuitive understanding of the concept by users.
But I was thinking of bitmap index scans as an analogue for Oracle's
bitmap indexes. Then I've read explanations by Tom Lane
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/12553.1135634231@sss.pgh.pa.us
and it appears that Postgres doesn't build literally a chain of 0's
and 1's, but an array of tuple pointers. Nevertheless, if it is
possible, I'd like these two icons to be committed too. You decide :)

--
Best regards,
 J.F.

Attachment

Re: PATCH: Add missing nodes to graphical explain plan

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Hello,

Per recent discussion on pgadmin-support ("index only scans are not
shown graphically"),

JFO> Insert
JFO> Update
JFO> Foreign Scan
JFO> Index Only Scan
JFO> BitmapAnd
JFO> BitmapOr
JFO> Values Scan (shows up as a Seq Scan)
JFO> LockRows
+ Merge Append.

Please note, that besides 10 new icons there are two icons for
existing nodes in the attachment, Bitmap Heap Scan and Bitmap Index
Scan.
I've changed them for unity with BitmapOr, BitmapAnd, which hopefully
will result in an intuitive understanding of the concept by users.
But I was thinking of bitmap index scans as an analogue for Oracle's
bitmap indexes. Then I've read explanations by Tom Lane
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/12553.1135634231@sss.pgh.pa.us
and it appears that Postgres doesn't build literally a chain of 0's
and 1's, but an array of tuple pointers. Nevertheless, if it is
possible, I'd like these two icons to be committed too. You decide :)

Indeed, they look great. I'm more reserved on the index only scan pic, but it's way better than what we have now :)

--

Re: PATCH: Add missing nodes to graphical explain plan

From
"J.F. Oster"
Date:
Hello Dave,

I wonder if this patch will get into 1.20...

Wednesday, November 5, 2014, 5:25:10 PM, J.F. Oster wrote:

JFO> Hello,

JFO> Per recent discussion on pgadmin-support ("index only scans are not
JFO> shown graphically"),

JFO>> Insert
JFO>> Update
JFO>> Foreign Scan
JFO>> Index Only Scan
JFO>> BitmapAnd
JFO>> BitmapOr
JFO>> Values Scan (shows up as a Seq Scan)
JFO>> LockRows
JFO> + Merge Append.

JFO> Please note, that besides 10 new icons there are two icons for
JFO> existing nodes in the attachment, Bitmap Heap Scan and Bitmap Index
JFO> Scan.
JFO> I've changed them for unity with BitmapOr, BitmapAnd, which hopefully
JFO> will result in an intuitive understanding of the concept by users.

Best regards,
 J.F.

Re: PATCH: Add missing nodes to graphical explain plan

From
Dave Page
Date:
If Guillaume is satisfied with the code enough to commit it, it can. I
consider it a bug fix, albeit minor.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
If Guillaume is satisfied with the code enough to commit it, it can. I
consider it a bug fix, albeit minor.

I didn't check the code. I just looked at the pics, and they feel right to me. Pretty sure I won't have time to check the code, and commit it, before the week-end.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: Add missing nodes to graphical explain plan

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>> If Guillaume is satisfied with the code enough to commit it, it can. I
>> consider it a bug fix, albeit minor.
>>

> I didn't check the code. I just looked at the pics, and they feel right to
> me. Pretty sure I won't have time to check the code, and commit it, before
> the week-end.

What about at the weekend? Or Monday? :-)

--

Date:
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>> If Guillaume is satisfied with the code enough to commit it, it can. I
>> consider it a bug fix, albeit minor.
>>

> I didn't check the code. I just looked at the pics, and they feel right to
> me. Pretty sure I won't have time to check the code, and commit it, before
> the week-end.

What about at the weekend? Or Monday? :-)

Will try to get it done this week-end.