Website

From
Jasmin Dizdarevic
Date:
Hi,

after 5 years it would be good to update the pgadmin.org website. The design isn't modern any more. I've got some ideas, may I try it?

Jasmin

Re: Website

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 22:53 +0200, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:
> Hi,
>

> after 5 years it would be good to update the pgadmin.org website. The
> design isn't modern any more. I've got some ideas, may I try it?

Hmmm, I don't know what Dave would think of that. It won't harm to at
least try :)

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: Website

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Saturday, July 16, 2011, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 22:53 +0200, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> after 5 years it would be good to update the pgadmin.org website. The
>> design isn't modern any more. I've got some ideas, may I try it?
>>

> Hmmm, I don't know what Dave would think of that. It won't harm to at
> least try :)

A refresh wouldn't hurt - suggestions for replacements are definitely
welcome, though, certainly not guaranteed to be accepted without much
discussion and revision (and likely a fair amount of bike shedding).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Website

From
Jasmin Dizdarevic

2011/7/17 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Saturday, July 16, 2011, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 22:53 +0200, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> after 5 years it would be good to update the pgadmin.org website. The
>> design isn't modern any more. I've got some ideas, may I try it?
>>

> Hmmm, I don't know what Dave would think of that. It won't harm to at
> least try :)

A refresh wouldn't hurt - suggestions for replacements are definitely
welcome, though, certainly not guaranteed to be accepted without much
discussion and revision (and likely a fair amount of bike shedding).

That's understandable and welcome. Here is the proposal:

1. I've added some contrast color (red) to the page so that it doesn't look so monotone
2. refreshed the navigation bar
3. removed the web-search buttons in the right corner and moved the language selection
4. decreased the font
5. borders

Most of the changes are css-hacks. If we like to do a real redesign, there is much more to do. I didn't change any content yet and worked just on LeftToRight-Design.

What do you think?

--

Date:
On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 12:50 +0200, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:

> 2011/7/17 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
>         On Saturday, July 16, 2011, Guillaume Lelarge
>         <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>         > On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 22:53 +0200, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:
>         >> Hi,
>         >>
>         >>
>         >> after 5 years it would be good to update the pgadmin.org
>         website. The
>         >> design isn't modern any more. I've got some ideas, may I
>         try it?
>         >>
>         >
>         > Hmmm, I don't know what Dave would think of that. It won't
>         harm to at
>         > least try :)
>         >

>         A refresh wouldn't hurt - suggestions for replacements are
>         definitely
>         welcome, though, certainly not guaranteed to be accepted
>         without much
>         discussion and revision (and likely a fair amount of bike
>         shedding).
>
> That's understandable and welcome. Here is the proposal:
>

> 1. I've added some contrast color (red) to the page so that it doesn't
> look so monotone

I don't really like it. Sure, it doesn't look monotone, but it doesn't
look good at all. It's just too much red.

> 2. refreshed the navigation bar

I find it a bit better.

> 3. removed the web-search buttons in the right corner and moved the
> language selection

That part is really a good idea.

> 4. decreased the font
> 5. borders

You mean the red border or the shadow? Anyway, I don't like both. It
doesn't look good in a big monitor. I much prefer when the website take
all the space available.

> Most of the changes are css-hacks. If we like to do a real redesign,
> there is much more to do. I didn't change any content yet and worked
> just on LeftToRight-Design.
>
> What do you think?
>

> http://pgadmin.inoreport.com

Not really a big fan of this design. I really prefer the one we already
have. Sorry.

--

2011/7/17 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>
On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 12:50 +0200, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:

> 2011/7/17 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
>         On Saturday, July 16, 2011, Guillaume Lelarge
>         <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>         > On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 22:53 +0200, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:
>         >> Hi,
>         >>
>         >>
>         >> after 5 years it would be good to update the pgadmin.org
>         website. The
>         >> design isn't modern any more. I've got some ideas, may I
>         try it?
>         >>
>         >
>         > Hmmm, I don't know what Dave would think of that. It won't
>         harm to at
>         > least try :)
>         >
>

>         A refresh wouldn't hurt - suggestions for replacements are
>         definitely
>         welcome, though, certainly not guaranteed to be accepted
>         without much
>         discussion and revision (and likely a fair amount of bike
>         shedding).
>
> That's understandable and welcome. Here is the proposal:
>

> 1. I've added some contrast color (red) to the page so that it doesn't
> look so monotone

I don't really like it. Sure, it doesn't look monotone, but it doesn't
look good at all. It's just too much red.

if we reduce borders, it shouldn't be to much (see P5)
Dave, could you send me the elephant as a single picture - best would be the elephant and a transparent background?
And the font of "pgAdmin" on the top. I could do a little bit more if i got these things.

> 2. refreshed the navigation bar

I find it a bit better.

> 3. removed the web-search buttons in the right corner and moved the
> language selection

That part is really a good idea.

> 4. decreased the font
> 5. borders

You mean the red border or the shadow? Anyway, I don't like both. It
doesn't look good in a big monitor. I much prefer when the website take
all the space available.

the 100% full space websites aren't  really common nowadays (see github.com, postgresql.org, and much much more), so i think we shouldn't keep it.
you're right, the border doesn't look very well, it could be more elegant.

> Most of the changes are css-hacks. If we like to do a real redesign,
> there is much more to do. I didn't change any content yet and worked
> just on LeftToRight-Design.
>
> What do you think?
>

> http://pgadmin.inoreport.com

Not really a big fan of this design. I really prefer the one we already
have. Sorry.

no problem, it's clear that we have to discuss it.

Re: Website

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
<jasmin.dizdarevic@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't really like it. Sure, it doesn't look monotone, but it doesn't
>> look good at all. It's just too much red.

Yeah, I'm afraid I don't like the red either.

> if we reduce borders, it shouldn't be to much (see P5)
> Dave, could you send me the elephant as a single picture - best would be the
> elephant and a transparent background?

Sorry, I don't have it. That came from a developer who is no longer
with the project.

> And the font of "pgAdmin" on the top. I could do a little bit more if i got
> these things.

No idea.

There's no reason either of those couldn't change though - I've wanted
a new splash screen for a while too.

>> You mean the red border or the shadow? Anyway, I don't like both. It
>> doesn't look good in a big monitor. I much prefer when the website take
>> all the space available.
>
> the 100% full space websites aren't  really common nowadays (see github.com,
> postgresql.org, and much much more), so i think we shouldn't keep it.
> you're right, the border doesn't look very well, it could be more elegant.

Having full width display is one of the changes that will almost
certainly be required in the next update to www.postgresql.org. Maybe
not 100%, but certainly variable.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Website

From
Jasmin Dizdarevic
Date:
OK, my dear twins ;)
I've excepted an similar answer from you Dave, so I changed the design based on Guillaume's suggestions.

2011/7/18 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
<jasmin.dizdarevic@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't really like it. Sure, it doesn't look monotone, but it doesn't
>> look good at all. It's just too much red.

Yeah, I'm afraid I don't like the red either.

Check it out again. The page is 100% again now. I also have to say, it looks better now. I've changed the color to orange. Has somebody another idea for the color?
I really think, that we need some contrast.

> if we reduce borders, it shouldn't be to much (see P5)
> Dave, could you send me the elephant as a single picture - best would be the
> elephant and a transparent background?

Sorry, I don't have it. That came from a developer who is no longer
with the project.

> And the font of "pgAdmin" on the top. I could do a little bit more if i got
> these things.

No idea.

There's no reason either of those couldn't change though - I've wanted
a new splash screen for a while too.

Great!
Would be best to invite everyone to submit suggestions?

>> You mean the red border or the shadow? Anyway, I don't like both. It
>> doesn't look good in a big monitor. I much prefer when the website take
>> all the space available.
>
> the 100% full space websites aren't  really common nowadays (see github.com,
> postgresql.org, and much much more), so i think we shouldn't keep it.
> you're right, the border doesn't look very well, it could be more elegant.

Having full width display is one of the changes that will almost
certainly be required in the next update to www.postgresql.org. Maybe
not 100%, but certainly variable.

Should we design the website so that we're near to postgresql.org?

--

Date:
On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 23:48 +0200, Jasmin Dizdarevic wrote:
> OK, my dear twins ;)
> I've excepted an similar answer from you Dave, so I changed the design
> based on Guillaume's suggestions.
>
> 2011/7/18 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
>         On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
>         <jasmin.dizdarevic@gmail.com> wrote:
>         >
>         >> I don't really like it. Sure, it doesn't look monotone, but
>         it doesn't
>         >> look good at all. It's just too much red.
>

>         Yeah, I'm afraid I don't like the red either.
>

> Check it out again. The page is 100% again now. I also have to say, it
> looks better now. I've changed the color to orange. Has somebody
> another idea for the color?
> I really think, that we need some contrast.

Still not convinced. I prefer the orange than the red. But, actually, I
don't really see how this design is any better than the old one. Not
that I really like the old one, but I don't see what the new design
really offers to justify the change. Smaller font? never saw someone
complaining about it.

>         > if we reduce borders, it shouldn't be to much (see P5)
>         > Dave, could you send me the elephant as a single picture -
>         best would be the
>         > elephant and a transparent background?
>

>         Sorry, I don't have it. That came from a developer who is no
>         longer
>         with the project.
>
>         > And the font of "pgAdmin" on the top. I could do a little
>         bit more if i got
>         > these things.
>

>         No idea.
>
>         There's no reason either of those couldn't change though -
>         I've wanted
>         a new splash screen for a while too.
>

> Great!
> Would be best to invite everyone to submit suggestions?

No problem with that.

>         >> You mean the red border or the shadow? Anyway, I don't like
>         both. It
>         >> doesn't look good in a big monitor. I much prefer when the
>         website take
>         >> all the space available.
>         >
>         > the 100% full space websites aren't  really common nowadays
>         (see github.com,
>         > postgresql.org, and much much more), so i think we shouldn't
>         keep it.
>         > you're right, the border doesn't look very well, it could be
>         more elegant.
>

>         Having full width display is one of the changes that will
>         almost
>         certainly be required in the next update to
>         www.postgresql.org. Maybe
>         not 100%, but certainly variable.
>
> Should we design the website so that we're near to postgresql.org?

No, I don't think so.

> http://pgadmin.inoreport.org

BTW, it's .com, not .org :)

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
  http://www.dalibo.com

Re: Website

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> Still not convinced. I prefer the orange than the red. But, actually, I
> don't really see how this design is any better than the old one. Not
> that I really like the old one, but I don't see what the new design
> really offers to justify the change. Smaller font? never saw someone
> complaining about it.

On my Mac running Chrome, the orange headers actually look smaller
than that lower-level headers below them/

Honestly, I think the best bet would be a full redesign. A move to
Django would probably be good too, but that's certainly not a
requirement for an update!

--

2011/7/19 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> Still not convinced. I prefer the orange than the red. But, actually, I
> don't really see how this design is any better than the old one. Not
> that I really like the old one, but I don't see what the new design
> really offers to justify the change. Smaller font? never saw someone
> complaining about it.

On my Mac running Chrome, the orange headers actually look smaller
than that lower-level headers below them/

Honestly, I think the best bet would be a full redesign. A move to
Django would probably be good too, but that's certainly not a
requirement for an update!

I suggested a small refresh of the page, therefore I made just small changes so the page looks polished. I didn't promised a big change.
A redesign would surely be the best, for me this implies a relaunch of the "brand" pgAdmin.

@Guillaume: I never saw somebody complaining about google, but they did a redesign. Because of marketing reasons, it's important to do this from time to time.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Website

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
<jasmin.dizdarevic@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggested a small refresh of the page, therefore I made just small changes
> so the page looks polished. I didn't promised a big change.

No, I realise that - and don't expect you to work on it if you don't
want to. I just mention it because I have a sneaking suspicion that
small updates are less likely to be liked by all, and really it could
be argued that you're putting "lipstick on a pig". I'm probably not
going to be overly happy until we change the primary colour for
example... I'm pretty fed up with that blue now.

> A redesign would surely be the best, for me this implies a relaunch of the
> "brand" pgAdmin.

Maybe, but we don't take that sort of thing quite as seriously as most
commercial entities would, so we don't need to worry about launch
parties and press releases etc :-). Unless people are in town anyway -
then there's always room for a celebratory ale!

> @Guillaume: I never saw somebody complaining about google, but they did a
> redesign. Because of marketing reasons, it's important to do this from time
> to time.

Yup - and just to keep things fresh.

--

Date:
On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 09:47 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
> <jasmin.dizdarevic@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > @Guillaume: I never saw somebody complaining about google, but they did a
> > redesign. Because of marketing reasons, it's important to do this from time
> > to time.
>
> Yup - and just to keep things fresh.

Sure, I agree on this. And I definitely think we need something new. But
I see new as full redesign, not minor changes here and there.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
  http://www.dalibo.com

Re: Website

From
Jasmin Dizdarevic

2011/7/19 Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
> I suggested a small refresh of the page, therefore I made just small changes
> so the page looks polished. I didn't promised a big change.

No, I realise that - and don't expect you to work on it if you don't
want to. I just mention it because I have a sneaking suspicion that
small updates are less likely to be liked by all, and really it could
be argued that you're putting "lipstick on a pig". I'm probably not
going to be overly happy until we change the primary colour for
example... I'm pretty fed up with that blue now.

I suggested a refresh, because I didn't know that you would like the big deal. There are probably other priorities. "Lipstick on a pig" is a good one :)
If we do a redesign, I'm would love to co-work on it.

> A redesign would surely be the best, for me this implies a relaunch of the
> "brand" pgAdmin.

Maybe, but we don't take that sort of thing quite as seriously as most
commercial entities would, so we don't need to worry about launch
parties and press releases etc :-). Unless people are in town anyway -
then there's always room for a celebratory ale!

Launch party and press releases? That's a wonderful idea. Do we have a budget? ;-)
What I meant is as you already mentioned the splash screen, help files, and so one to have a straight design.

> @Guillaume: I never saw somebody complaining about google, but they did a
> redesign. Because of marketing reasons, it's important to do this from time
> to time.

Yup - and just to keep things fresh.

Guillaume: Sure, I agree on this. And I definitely think we need something new. But
I see new as full redesign, not minor changes here and there.

Agreed!