v1.14 SQL editor collapsing feature

From
Erwin Brandstetter
Date:
About the new feature the SQL editor: collapsing / expanding logical parts of the code .. (Do we have a name for it?)

Other features like this have an entry in the "View" menu with which to activate / deactivate it.
     Indent guides
     Line ends
     White space

I had half expected to find an entry for the new feature, too. Would you think adding one is a good idea?
The feature seems pretty useful most of the time. But it would be nice to be able to deactivate it, too ... if that's
evenpossible.

Regards
Erwin

Re: v1.14 SQL editor collapsing feature

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Friday, May 6, 2011, Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda@gmail.com> wrote:
> About the new feature the SQL editor: collapsing / expanding logical parts of the code .. (Do we have a name for it?)
>
> Other features like this have an entry in the "View" menu with which to activate / deactivate it.
>     Indent guides
>     Line ends
>     White space
>
> I had half expected to find an entry for the new feature, too. Would you think adding one is a good idea?
> The feature seems pretty useful most of the time. But it would be nice to be able to deactivate it, too ... if that's
evenpossible.

Not much point really - if you don't want to use it, don't collapse anything.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On 06.05.2011 21:52, Dave Page wrote:
> On Friday, May 6, 2011, Erwin Brandstetter<brsaweda@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> About the new feature the SQL editor: collapsing / expanding logical parts of the code .. (Do we have a name for
it?)

>> Other features like this have an entry in the "View" menu with which to activate / deactivate it.
>>      Indent guides
>>      Line ends
>>      White space
>>
>> I had half expected to find an entry for the new feature, too. Would you think adding one is a good idea?
>> The feature seems pretty useful most of the time. But it would be nice to be able to deactivate it, too ... if
that'seven possible.
> Not much point really - if you don't want to use it, don't collapse anything.

If you don't use it, it still clutters up the interface and takes away
some space, which might be a concern for smaller displays.
After a lot of effort went into dialogs usable at 800x600 I could see
additional benefit here. Not that I plan to work on 800x600. Just saying ..

Re: v1.14 SQL editor collapsing feature

From
Ken Haley
Date:
I think there is a point: (a) the block folding option (as I think it's called elsewhere) is buggy -- it doesn't seem to handle nested if's correctly, sometimes mis-matches parentheses, etc.  (b) Several times, I've accidentally collapsed a block trying to highlight an entire line (using the far left margin).  It's annoying to have to open the block back up and find the line again. This needs to be an optional feature, I think.

Re: v1.14 SQL editor collapsing feature

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 09:26 -0600, Ken Haley wrote:
> I think there is a point: (a) the block folding option (as I think it's
> called elsewhere) is buggy -- it doesn't seem to handle nested if's
> correctly, sometimes mis-matches parentheses, etc.  (b) Several times, I've
> accidentally collapsed a block trying to highlight an entire line (using
> the far left margin).  It's annoying to have to open the block back up and
> find the line again. This needs to be an optional feature, I think.

Well, if it's buggy, it should be fixed. There's probably not much we
can do here as it is part of wxWidgets but at least, we can move the
information upstream. So, if you have any *detailed* information of that
kind, please, give it.

I agree on the second part.

I have nothing against adding an option on that feature. That would be
fairly easy to do. Dave, do you feel strongly against adding the option?
or is it simply not worth your time? (which would be quite
understandable)

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: v1.14 SQL editor collapsing feature

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 09:26 -0600, Ken Haley wrote:
>> I think there is a point: (a) the block folding option (as I think it's
>> called elsewhere) is buggy -- it doesn't seem to handle nested if's
>> correctly, sometimes mis-matches parentheses, etc.  (b) Several times, I've
>> accidentally collapsed a block trying to highlight an entire line (using
>> the far left margin).  It's annoying to have to open the block back up and
>> find the line again. This needs to be an optional feature, I think.
>
> Well, if it's buggy, it should be fixed. There's probably not much we
> can do here as it is part of wxWidgets but at least, we can move the
> information upstream. So, if you have any *detailed* information of that
> kind, please, give it.
>
> I agree on the second part.
>
> I have nothing against adding an option on that feature. That would be
> fairly easy to do. Dave, do you feel strongly against adding the option?
> or is it simply not worth your time? (which would be quite
> understandable)

If there are demonstrable issues with wxSTC that can cause annoyance
and loss of productivity that we can't easily get fixed, then I don't
object to having an option to switch it off.

I'm not sure how one could accidentally toggle a block regularly
though; it's not something I recall ever doing - and to do it often
enough *and* reproduce a bug that to my knowledge hasn't been reported
before seems like it would be hard to cause more than trivial
annoyance; unless there's something specific to Ken's environment at
play here as well.