CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
It would be great if there was a database-level option so that any new
indexes would default to using CONCURRENTLY.

This would allow production systems to be changed easily using the
default of CONCURRENTLY, whereas dev systems won't need that.

If not, can we just have a general default of use concurrent builds?

Got a crash on Beta5 yesterday while creating indexes, not been able to
reproduce it. Sorry.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Simon Riggs a écrit :
> It would be great if there was a database-level option so that any new
> indexes would default to using CONCURRENTLY.
>
> This would allow production systems to be changed easily using the
> default of CONCURRENTLY, whereas dev systems won't need that.
>
> If not, can we just have a general default of use concurrent builds?

I would be in favor of a database level option. It would be an
interesting feature for next release. If Dave is OK with this, I will
add this on our todo page.

> Got a crash on Beta5 yesterday while creating indexes, not been able to
> reproduce it. Sorry.

beta5 crashes at the creation of a pkey. It's already fixed on SVN.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY

From
Dave Page
Date:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Simon Riggs a écrit :
>> It would be great if there was a database-level option so that any new
>> indexes would default to using CONCURRENTLY.
>>
>> This would allow production systems to be changed easily using the
>> default of CONCURRENTLY, whereas dev systems won't need that.
>>
>> If not, can we just have a general default of use concurrent builds?
>>

> I would be in favor of a database level option. It would be an
> interesting feature for next release. If Dave is OK with this, I will
> add this on our todo page.

We don't have any infrastructure for saving per-database settings. We
could have a general default easily enough though.

/D

Date:
On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 13:55 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > Simon Riggs a écrit :
> >> It would be great if there was a database-level option so that any new
> >> indexes would default to using CONCURRENTLY.
> >>
> >> This would allow production systems to be changed easily using the
> >> default of CONCURRENTLY, whereas dev systems won't need that.
> >>
> >> If not, can we just have a general default of use concurrent builds?
> >>

> > I would be in favor of a database level option. It would be an
> > interesting feature for next release. If Dave is OK with this, I will
> > add this on our todo page.
>
> We don't have any infrastructure for saving per-database settings. We
> could have a general default easily enough though.

Yes, please. Can we turn it on by default? I want to encourage people to
use the facilities we've desgined into the database core.