Fedora package status for 1.6.3 and above

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

People who are looking for Fedora packages:

I am/will not be building packages for Fedora > 6 , since there is a
package maintainer for pgadmin3 there and I want to avoid duplicate
work.

The package builder ( ghenry ~~ suretecsystems  dot com ) is a bit late
on building packages: Fedora Core 6 has 1.4.3 ( the reason is stated
below ) , and development has 1.6.1. So please bug him, not me, about
Fedora pgadmin3 package in Fedora repository. The reason that Fedora 6
has 1.4.3 is the wx 2.8 dependency of pgadmin3, that Fedora 6 does not
have in its repositories.

I will build and upload Fedora Core 6 packages in a few hours; I have
already built wx 2.8 on Fedora Core 6.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Fedora package status for 1.6.3 and above

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 14:15 +0300, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> I will build and upload Fedora Core 6 packages in a few hours;

Done and uploaded. Waiting for the sync to main FTP site.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Fedora package status for 1.6.3 and above

From
Dave Page
Date:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> People who are looking for Fedora packages:
>
> I am/will not be building packages for Fedora > 6 , since there is a
> package maintainer for pgadmin3 there and I want to avoid duplicate
> work.

Thank you for your efforts :-)

> The package builder ( ghenry ~~ suretecsystems  dot com ) is a bit late
> on building packages: Fedora Core 6 has 1.4.3 ( the reason is stated
> below ) , and development has 1.6.1. So please bug him, not me, about
> Fedora pgadmin3 package in Fedora repository. The reason that Fedora 6
> has 1.4.3 is the wx 2.8 dependency of pgadmin3, that Fedora 6 does not
> have in its repositories.

:-( This is the problem with relying on the OS teams to build packages -
they can take months or even years to to release a new version.

Regards, Dave.

Date:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 14:15 +0300, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>> I will build and upload Fedora Core 6 packages in a few hours;
>
> Done and uploaded. Waiting for the sync to main FTP site.

Thanks Devrim. Can you forward me the current spec files please so I can
commit them to SVN.

Thanks, Dave

Re: Fedora package status for 1.6.3 and above

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 14:16 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Thanks Devrim. Can you forward me the current spec files please so I
> can commit them to SVN.

Will be sending it to you in a minute.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Fedora package status for 1.6.3 and above

From
"Florian G. Pflug"
Dave Page wrote:
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>> The package builder ( ghenry ~~ suretecsystems  dot com ) is a bit late
>> on building packages: Fedora Core 6 has 1.4.3 ( the reason is stated
>> below ) , and development has 1.6.1. So please bug him, not me, about
>> Fedora pgadmin3 package in Fedora repository. The reason that Fedora 6
>> has 1.4.3 is the wx 2.8 dependency of pgadmin3, that Fedora 6 does not
>> have in its repositories.
>
> :-( This is the problem with relying on the OS teams to build packages -
> they can take months or even years to to release a new version.

Is the same for Ubuntu :-( - At least if I haven't missed anything.

Maybe we could build a generic statically linked binary (for i386 at least)
, for those distributions which nobody does up-to-date builds for?

If there is interest in this, I could try to build such a package for
1.6.3 in the next few days. Dunno how hard it is to build a version
that runs on the  majority of the distributions out there though..

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: Fedora package status for 1.6.3 and above

From
"Dave Page"

I'm keen to see this work for other reasons. Would be pleased to see you work on it (and can help if need be).

/D

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

What would a sensible version of libc be to require? I've installed
debian woody into a chroot, but noticed that the newest gcc it includes
is 3.0 - which is pretty acient, and might cause trouble with wx
or pgadmin.

OTOH, debian sarge contains libc 2.3, not 2.2 like woody. I'm not sure
how many peopel still run distros without libc 2.3...

Any ideas? Do you guys think that compiling wx+pgadmin3 with gcc 3.0 will work?

greetings, Florian Pflug

Date:
Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> What would a sensible version of libc be to require? I've installed
> debian woody into a chroot, but noticed that the newest gcc it includes
> is 3.0 - which is pretty acient, and might cause trouble with wx
> or pgadmin.
>
> OTOH, debian sarge contains libc 2.3, not 2.2 like woody. I'm not sure
> how many peopel still run distros without libc 2.3...
>
> Any ideas? Do you guys think that compiling wx+pgadmin3 with gcc 3.0
> will work?

No idea - we use 3.4.2 iirc on developer.pgadmin.org, so 3.x is
definitely feasible. Easiest way is to just give it a go!

Regards, Dave.