pgAdmin on Mac OS X

From
Adam H.Pendleton
Date:
pgAdmin3 on Mac can be built by following these instructions:

1. CVS Checkout wxWindows
2. cd wxWindows
3. mkdir macbuild; cd macbuild
4. ../configure --prefix=/path/to/wx2 --with-mac --enable-unicode
--disable-shared --enable-debug
5. make ; make instal
6. cd contrib/src/stc
7. make ; make install
8. CVS checkout pgAdmin3
9. cd pgadmin3
10. sh bootstrap
11. ./configure --disable-shared --enable-debug
12. make
13. cd src
14. cd ..; make install
15. /Developer/Tools/Rez -d __DARWIN__ -t APPL -d __WXMAC__ -i . -i
include/ -o /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3 Carbon.r
/path/to/wx2/lib/libwx_macud-2.5.3.r
16. /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3

The program isn't really usable yet, but I'll be working to create some
patches to fix that.  Also, I hope to automate step 15, but it will
take some time.  That's all for now.

ahp

Re: pgAdmin on Mac OS X

From
Jyrki Wahlstedt
Date:
Hi,
good to see these instructions! Probably 'make install' should read
'sudo make install', though, as writing to final directories require
more than normal user privileges!?
!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
! Tinatie 3 A 2            mob. +358-40-502 0164
! FI-00440 Helsinki
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386

On 6.12.2004, at 16:28, Adam H.Pendleton wrote:

> pgAdmin3 on Mac can be built by following these instructions:
>
> 1. CVS Checkout wxWindows
> 2. cd wxWindows
> 3. mkdir macbuild; cd macbuild
> 4. ../configure --prefix=/path/to/wx2 --with-mac --enable-unicode
> --disable-shared --enable-debug
> 5. make ; make instal
> 6. cd contrib/src/stc
> 7. make ; make install
> 8. CVS checkout pgAdmin3
> 9. cd pgadmin3
> 10. sh bootstrap
> 11. ./configure --disable-shared --enable-debug
> 12. make
> 13. cd src
> 14. cd ..; make install
> 15. /Developer/Tools/Rez -d __DARWIN__ -t APPL -d __WXMAC__ -i . -i
> include/ -o /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3 Carbon.r
> /path/to/wx2/lib/libwx_macud-2.5.3.r
> 16. /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3
>
> The program isn't really usable yet, but I'll be working to create
> some patches to fix that.  Also, I hope to automate step 15, but it
> will take some time.  That's all for now.
>
> ahp
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: pgAdmin on Mac OS X

From
Adam H.Pendleton
Date:
On Dec 6, 2004, at 12:20 PM, Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:

> Hi,
> good to see these instructions! Probably 'make install' should read
> 'sudo make install', though, as writing to final directories require
> more than normal user privileges!?

Duh!  Yes, indeed they should.

ahp

Re: pgAdmin on Mac OS X

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Adam H.Pendleton wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2004, at 12:20 PM, Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> good to see these instructions! Probably 'make install' should read
>> 'sudo make install', though, as writing to final directories require
>> more than normal user privileges!?
>

> Duh!  Yes, indeed they should.

Well we always should leave a little investigation work to users :-)

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin on Mac OS X

From
Patrick Hatcher

sorry for the dumb question up front:
1. CVS Checkout wxWindows

I have wxMac-2.5.3 installed that I picked up from the wxWidgets site.
Should I use the version above and not the wxMac version?  And where would
I get the CVS version?

TIA

Patrick Hatcher
Macys.Com

             Jyrki Wahlstedt
             <jyrki.wahlstedt@
             hut.fi>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  "Adam H.Pendleton"
             pgadmin-hackers-o         <fmonkey@fmonkey.net>
             wner@postgresql.o                                          cc
             rg                        pgadmin-hackers
                                       <pgadmin-hackers@postgresql.org>
                                                                   Subject
             12/06/2004 09:20          Re: [pgadmin-hackers] pgAdmin on
             AM                        Mac OS X

Hi,
good to see these instructions! Probably 'make install' should read
'sudo make install', though, as writing to final directories require
more than normal user privileges!?
!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
! Tinatie 3 A 2                     mob. +358-40-502 0164
! FI-00440 Helsinki
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386

On 6.12.2004, at 16:28, Adam H.Pendleton wrote:

> pgAdmin3 on Mac can be built by following these instructions:
>
> 1. CVS Checkout wxWindows
> 2. cd wxWindows
> 3. mkdir macbuild; cd macbuild
> 4. ../configure --prefix=/path/to/wx2 --with-mac --enable-unicode
> --disable-shared --enable-debug
> 5. make ; make instal
> 6. cd contrib/src/stc
> 7. make ; make install
> 8. CVS checkout pgAdmin3
> 9. cd pgadmin3
> 10. sh bootstrap
> 11. ./configure --disable-shared --enable-debug
> 12. make
> 13. cd src
> 14. cd ..; make install
> 15. /Developer/Tools/Rez -d __DARWIN__ -t APPL -d __WXMAC__ -i . -i
> include/ -o /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3 Carbon.r
> /path/to/wx2/lib/libwx_macud-2.5.3.r
> 16. /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3
>
> The program isn't really usable yet, but I'll be working to create
> some patches to fix that.  Also, I hope to automate step 15, but it
> will take some time.  That's all for now.
>
> ahp
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: pgAdmin on Mac OS X

From
Adam H.Pendleton
Date:
On Dec 6, 2004, at 1:18 PM, Patrick Hatcher wrote:

> sorry for the dumb question up front:
> 1. CVS Checkout wxWindows
>
> I have wxMac-2.5.3 installed that I picked up from the wxWidgets site.
> Should I use the version above and not the wxMac version?  And where
> would
> I get the CVS version?

You can try the version you have, but the wxMac code is pretty fluid,
and the only version I have tested is the CVS tree.  If you encounter
any errors building with your current version, you can report them, and
I'll let you know if you need the CVS or not.

The CVS code can be obtained by going to
http://www.wxwidgets.org/cvs.htm.

ahp

Re: pgAdmin on Mac OS X

From
leon-pg@comvision.com
Date:
Hi, everyone! I'm new here.

Adam, thanks for the build instructions. I was excited to see pgAdmin
finally running on my Powerbook! I was able to connect to my db server,
although I had to tab to the password field, which was below the bottom
of the Connect dialog. The program seems to be usable AFAICT.

A couple of comments/questions:
1. The size of the Connect dialog is incorrect (as noted above), so
that the password field is not visable.
2. I can't seem to change the font in Preferences. For some reason I
think I'd like to use a monospaced font (old habits die hard). It think
there may be a button I can't see in the Prefs dialog because it's too
small for me to see the right end of the Font box.
3. Cmd-M to minimize doesn't work. This is obviously a very minor
problem, but I'm trying to be thorough here! (Cmd-H to hide does work
nicely, though.)

I'm going to try using pgAdmin on the Mac instead of my WinXP box for a
couple of days. I'm sure I'll have more feedback soon.

I hope this is helpful... I'm afraid that I don't know much C++ and
won't really be able to actually fix any of these problems myself.

Thanks again!

Leon

> pgAdmin3 on Mac can be built by following these instructions:
>
> 1. CVS Checkout wxWindows
>  2. cd wxWindows
>  3. mkdir macbuild; cd macbuild
>  4. ../configure --prefix=/path/to/wx2 --with-mac --enable-unicode
> --disable-shared --enable-debug
>  5. make ; make instal
>  6. cd contrib/src/stc
>  7. make ; make install
>  8. CVS checkout pgAdmin3
>  9. cd pgadmin3
>  10. sh bootstrap
>  11. ./configure --disable-shared --enable-debug
>  12. make
>  13. cd src
>  14. cd ..; make install
>  15. /Developer/Tools/Rez -d __DARWIN__ -t APPL -d __WXMAC__ -i . -i
> include/ -o /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3 Carbon.r
> /path/to/wx2/lib/libwx_macud-2.5.3.r
>  16. /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3
>
> The program isn't really usable yet, but I'll be working to create
> some patches to fix that. Also, I hope to automate step 15, but it
> will take some time. That's all for now.
>
> ahp

Re: pgAdmin on Mac OS X

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
leon-pg@comvision.com wrote:
> Hi, everyone! I'm new here.
>
> Adam, thanks for the build instructions. I was excited to see pgAdmin
> finally running on my Powerbook! I was able to connect to my db server,
> although I had to tab to the password field, which was below the bottom
> of the Connect dialog. The program seems to be usable AFAICT.

Hi Leon,

apparently the wx for mac has some problems with font/dialog unit
handling, which must be fixed in wx, not pgadmin. pgadmin is designed
quite carefully to resize according to any font used (as long as the
font is designed correctly), and works fine under win32 and gtk.

If you can spend some time checking into this topic, please check the wx
samples, especially the xrc sample. I can provide you with some test
files in the next days, to dig further.

Regards,
Andreas