Problems compiling from CVS

From
John McCawley
Date:
Hello all,

First of all, great work on the wx/C++ port!  I had contributed a little
bit to the VB pgAdmin2 a little over a year ago when C++ discussions
first started.  I was amazed to see this wx port completed so quickly!

At the time I was (and still am) working on a datamodeler for postgres
(http://www.hardgeus.com/projects/pgdesigner/).  At the time it was in
FLTK but I became frustrated with the library, so I switched to wx.  I
have had quite a bit of interest in the project, but I have never really
gotten enough inertia to overcome a couple of the GUI humps I've hit.  I
thought I'd try to give a go at merging my codebase into pgAdmin3 so
here I am.

I compiled the wxGTK snapshot located at the mirrors and was able to
also compile the version of pgAdmin3 in pgadmin3-1.0.1.tar.gz.  However,
when I pulled pgAdmin3 from CVS I got the following errors:

/usr/local/include/wx/generic/calctrl.h: In member function `bool
   wxCalendarBox::Create(wxWindow*, int, const wxDateTime&, const wxPoint&,
   const wxSize&, long int, const wxString&)':
/usr/local/include/wx/generic/calctrl.h:247: `wxControl*
   wxCalendarCtrl::GetYearControl() const' is private
ui/calbox.cpp:105: within this context
/usr/local/include/wx/generic/calctrl.h:246: `wxControl*
   wxCalendarCtrl::GetMonthControl() const' is private
ui/calbox.cpp:139: within this context
ui/calbox.cpp: In member function `void
   wxCalendarBox::OnText(wxCommandEvent&)':
ui/calbox.cpp:436: no matching function for call to
`wxCalendarEvent::SetDate(
   wxDateTime&)'

I tried using the wxGTK snapshots in both
wxWindows-pgAdmin3-20030831.tar.gz and
wxWindows-pgAdmin3-20031010-2.tar.bz2 but both gave me the same error.

Is there a newer wxGTK snapshot I should be using with the CVS version
of pgAdmin3?

John

Re: Problems compiling from CVS

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
John McCawley wrote:

> First of all, great work on the wx/C++ port!  I had contributed a
> little bit to the VB pgAdmin2 a little over a year ago when C++
> discussions first started.  I was amazed to see this wx port completed
> so quickly!

Thanks!

> At the time I was (and still am) working on a datamodeler for postgres
> (http://www.hardgeus.com/projects/pgdesigner/).  At the time it was in
> FLTK but I became frustrated with the library, so I switched to wx.  I
> have had quite a bit of interest in the project, but I have never
> really gotten enough inertia to overcome a couple of the GUI humps
> I've hit.  I thought I'd try to give a go at merging my codebase into
> pgAdmin3 so here I am.

I didn't have the time to look at your code or binary so far, just some
thoughts:
A data model designer is a very important tool, we really should have
this as open source! I've been working with SyBase AppModeler a long
time, and I like the multi-database target abilities. While my heart
belongs to PostgreSQL, I feel that a modeling tool should support all
database systems.
We're a quite careful about what to integrate into pgAdmin3 itself; the
tool is dedicated to database administrative tasks, and we feel it's not
too helpful to have a menu item that starts an independent window for a
new set of features. Still, there's the need for a whole suite of tools
(the "pgAdmin suite" we might call it), one of them being pgAdmin3, one
data centric manipulation and import tool (planning/brain storming
stage), a scheduling tool (pgAgent, embryonic in cvs), and (in the
dreams) a data model designer. The latter might well be pgdesigner.
Please feel free to use the pgAdmin3 code base to learn how to use wx
libraries. IMHO, we're doing quite a good job supporting multiple
platforms, and the build system may well be reusable for pgdesigner
purposes. A DM designer is _the_ app I'd like to contribute next.
Realistically, I might not have the time to do so intensively, but I'd
like to add my knowledge.
There are some other guys who had built a MySQL centric tool in Delphi,
planing to rewrite it with wxWindows, targeted to more database systems.
Maybe forces could be joined.

> Is there a newer wxGTK snapshot I should be using with the CVS version
> of pgAdmin3?

Yes, there is; please use wxWindows-pgAdmin3-20031010-6.tar.bz2. The
compiler error shows that there's at least one required patch missing
that makes the two methods mentioned public.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Problems compiling from CVS

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Jeudi 20 Novembre 2003 20:28, John McCawley a écrit :
> At the time I was (and still am) working on a datamodeler for postgres
> (http://www.hardgeus.com/projects/pgdesigner/).  At the time it was in
> FLTK but I became frustrated with the library, so I switched to wx.

Dear John,

Congratulations. wxDesigner seems to be marvelous. Do not hesitate to contact
me for the translation of your application. If you wish, we could probably
use the pgAdmin translation network: http://www.pgadmin.org/translation.php.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel Pouré

Re: Problems compiling from CVS

From
"Dave Page"

Seconded. Good to see you again John!

> Still, there's the need for a whole
> suite of tools
> (the "pgAdmin suite" we might call it), one of them being
> pgAdmin3, one
> data centric manipulation and import tool (planning/brain storming
> stage), a scheduling tool (pgAgent, embryonic in cvs), and (in the
> dreams) a data model designer.

Mark and I are in the early design phases of a 4GL as well, though that
is likely to be a longterm project...

Regards, Dave.