pgadmin3 debian package proposal

From
Raphaël Enrici
Date:
Hi guys,

Michael Meskes (once again, thank you!) gave me a real good suggestion
and I want to share this information with all of you as it can have many
implications.
One solution to be able to enter debian faster is to generate a debian
package which would include our wx snapshot source and to build both the
product together and do a static link of the wx part. I talked of this
with my debian "sponsor" who thinks this is also the best way to handle
this.
I'm gonna work on this asap (in fact I already began to do it) and will
inform you of the (non?)success of it. I may have to do some tricks to
get the build running. In fact it's what is actually done in two shot
that we have to handle in one :) I precise that the pgadmin3 binary
package won't contain any part of wx but the ones linked statically to
pgadmin3.

One problem I can think of for now is that we will have to support bugs
that may be due to our wx snapshot, and may be some really specifics one
(architecture problems for example... Remember the crash problem on
debian alpha). In fact nothing that we don't do for the moment isn't it ?

As ever, any comments are welcome.

Regards,
Raphaël

Re: pgadmin3 debian package proposal

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Raphaël Enrici wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Michael Meskes (once again, thank you!) gave me a real good suggestion
> and I want to share this information with all of you as it can have
> many implications.
> One solution to be able to enter debian faster is to generate a debian
> package which would include our wx snapshot source and to build both
> the product together and do a static link of the wx part. I talked of
> this with my debian "sponsor" who thinks this is also the best way to
> handle this.
> I'm gonna work on this asap (in fact I already began to do it) and
> will inform you of the (non?)success of it. I may have to do some
> tricks to get the build running. In fact it's what is actually done in
> two shot that we have to handle in one :) I precise that the pgadmin3
> binary package won't contain any part of wx but the ones linked
> statically to pgadmin3.
>
> One problem I can think of for now is that we will have to support
> bugs that may be due to our wx snapshot, and may be some really
> specifics one (architecture problems for example... Remember the crash
> problem on debian alpha). In fact nothing that we don't do for the
> moment isn't it ?
>
> As ever, any comments are welcome.

Sounds good!
So you're probably moving wx into the pgadmin3 directory, side by side
to the now existing src, include and build? This would enable a common
make run for all of pgadmin. This wouldn't only help for Debian, but for
all other *nix makes also. I like that idea.

People encountering any problem in pgAdmin3 will ask us for support
anyway, and we'll have to trace it down to wx or even gtk, whether we're
using an official wx distri or our own.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgadmin3 debian package proposal

From
"Dave Page"

Bizarre, I had exactly that thought on the way back from the shops earlier!

> Sounds good!
> So you're probably moving wx into the pgadmin3 directory,
> side by side to the now existing src, include and build? This
> would enable a common make run for all of pgadmin. This
> wouldn't only help for Debian, but for all other *nix makes
> also. I like that idea.

Side by side. Mmmm, if we're talking side by side right back to CVS, we really ought to be sure we want to do this.
Basicallywe'd be committing to maintaining our own wx fork indefinately. Moving back to the standard distro might not
beso easy in the future...

That said, a single build system really would be nice. What are the licencing implications?

> People encountering any problem in pgAdmin3 will ask us for
> support anyway, and we'll have to trace it down to wx or even
> gtk, whether we're using an official wx distri or our own.

Very true.

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgadmin3 debian package proposal

From
Andreas Pflug

>Side by side. Mmmm, if we're talking side by side right back to CVS, we really ought to be sure we want to do this.
Basicallywe'd be committing to maintaining our own wx fork indefinately. Moving back to the standard distro might not
beso easy in the future...

No, I don't want it put into cvs, except for some custom makefiles
maybe. We should stay with the current way of syncing our snapshot with
wx from time to time, hoping for an age where we can get back to vanilla wx.

>That said, a single build system really would be nice.

If we have wx in a subdirectory of our source tree top side by side to
src, the make process can do it in a single build. In this case, we
wouldn't need to have wx installed, thus minimizing the chance of
interference with an official wx package.

Regards,
Andreas

Date:
Andreas Pflug wrote:

>> Side by side. Mmmm, if we're talking side by side right back to CVS,
>> we really ought to be sure we want to do this. Basically we'd be
>> committing to maintaining our own wx fork indefinately. Moving back
>> to the standard distro might not be so easy in the future...
>>

> No, I don't want it put into cvs, except for some custom makefiles
> maybe. We should stay with the current way of syncing our snapshot
> with wx from time to time, hoping for an age where we can get back to
> vanilla wx.

I agree with this.

>> That said, a single build system really would be nice.
>
> If we have wx in a subdirectory of our source tree top side by side to
> src, the make process can do it in a single build. In this case, we
> wouldn't need to have wx installed, thus minimizing the chance of
> interference with an official wx package.

What I was imaginating was to find a proper way to put, for example, the
.tar.bz2 of "our" wx source in a specific place and to have a "magic"
configure (for example) option which could handle the fact that the wx
to link against is situated in the source tree. I don't want to get the
wx source always in pgadmin3 source tree, think it has nothing to do
here and I don't want that we loose cpu time to build wx snap every day
when building snapshots... By the way, it may not be a good idea to
"waste" a lot of time to get the configure/makefiles modified to get a
single build process. May be we could just try to have the proper way of
launching each configure / make commands and to document it well so that
all packagers can publish spec, rules or whatever is appropriate to each
disto. It may than be easier to backout to a dynamic build against
official wx when they will be ready.

Another thing, may be we should not borrow Michael with these discuss
anymore ? He had the good idea and may not want to receive all our
thought about it (?) :)

I'll send back to you my build process as soon as it will be ok (hope it
will be ok one day) (depends on my free time).

Date:
Raphaël Enrici wrote:

> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>>> That said, a single build system really would be nice.
>>

>> If we have wx in a subdirectory of our source tree top side by side
>> to src, the make process can do it in a single build. In this case,
>> we wouldn't need to have wx installed, thus minimizing the chance of
>> interference with an official wx package.

just for information, I have a first debian package that build without
external wx. I'm gonna submit it to my "sponsor" so that he can gives
its advice and gave corrections. I'll send you some news asap.
The method I adopted follows:
pgadmin-1.1.0/wxWindows-pgAdmin3-20031010-5 contains the untared snapshot
The debian/rules (equivalent of rpm spec file) is charged of building
and installing it in
pgadmin-1.1.0/wxWindows-pgAdmin3-20031010-5/localinst just before the
pgA3 configure line is invoked.It refers to it using --with-wx and
--with-wx-config configure options.

regards,
Raphaël