Cannot build latest CVS

From
Troels Arvin
Date:
Hello,

When I try latest CVS:

/usr/include/wx/generic/calctrl.h: In member function `bool
   wxCalendarBox::Create(wxWindow*, int, const wxDateTime&, const
wxPoint&,
   const wxSize&, long int, const wxString&)':
/usr/include/wx/generic/calctrl.h:247: `wxControl*
   wxCalendarCtrl::GetYearControl() const' is private
ui/calbox.cpp:107: within this context
/usr/include/wx/generic/calctrl.h:246: `wxControl*
   wxCalendarCtrl::GetMonthControl() const' is private
ui/calbox.cpp:139: within this context
ui/calbox.cpp: In member function `void
   wxCalendarBox::OnText(wxCommandEvent&)':
ui/calbox.cpp:413: no matching function for call to
`wxCalendarEvent::SetDate(
   wxDateTime&)'
make[2]: *** [calbox.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/troels/cvs-co/pgadmin3/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/troels/cvs-co/pgadmin3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm using wxGTK2ud-2.5-20031010.3 from
http://snake.pgadmin.org/snapshots/wxwindows/

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Cannot build latest CVS

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi Troels.

There was a new update to the wx tarball this morning, though
Jean-Michel may not have produced RPMs yet. You need the -4 version
which is on Snake in tar.bz2 format.

Regards, Dave.

Date:
Hello,

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 14:38, Dave Page wrote:
> There was a new update to the wx tarball this morning, though
> Jean-Michel may not have produced RPMs yet. You need the -4 version
> which is on Snake in tar.bz2 format.

OK; thanks. I'll build a new set of RPMS locally.

As long as pgadmin3 is so dependent on certain changes in wxWindows,
then wouldn't it be nice to keep the needed patch(es) somewhere in
pgadmin3's CVS tree? - For example a patch agains current wxWindows CVS
HEAD? Of course, that patch would sometimes need an update because of
changes in wxWindows' CVS-HEAD, and when new features/fixes are
introduced because of pgadmin3.

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Cannot build latest CVS

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Mercredi 22 Octobre 2003 14:27, Troels Arvin a écrit :
> I'm using wxGTK2ud-2.5-20031010.3 from
> http://snake.pgadmin.org/snapshots/wxwindows/

I am currently compiling wxGTK2ud-2.5-20031010.4. Wait a few hours before
everything is publised. Are you working days and nights on pgAdmin3?

As you know RH packaging well, I would like to know how to disable stripping,
which is RH default behavior. This will enable me to produce full debug RPMs.
Any idea?

Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: Cannot build latest CVS

From
Troels Arvin
Date:
Hello,

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 15:18, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Are you working days and nights on pgAdmin3?

Certainly not ;-)
- But I found a bug in the query window (cannot see curser), and I
wanted to be sure that the bug still exists in current CVS before
reporting it.

> As you know RH packaging well, I would like to know how to disable stripping,
> which is RH default behavior.

I'm not so sure that your RPMs contain stripped binary code. When I
extract the .o files contained in libwx_gtk2ud-2.5.a and run "file" on
them, file tells me that only 20 out of 290 object files are stripped.
Strange; either the "file" utility is wrong, or only a small subset of
the object files are stripped, for some reason.

Anyways, a hack prevent RPM from stripping (:-)) might be to put this in
the head of the spec-file?:
%define __strip /bin/true

Hopefully, there is a cleaner way of doing it, but I don't know of any.

--

Date:
Le Mercredi 22 Octobre 2003 15:35, Troels Arvin a écrit :
> %define __strip /bin/true
Thanks, added to spec.

Debug-capable RPMs

From
Troels Arvin
Date:
Hello,

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 15:35, I wrote (subject "Re: [pgadmin-hackers]
Cannot build latest CVS"):
> Anyways, a hack prevent RPM from stripping (:-)) might be to put this in
> the head of the spec-file?:
> %define __strip /bin/true

Doesn't work. This does:

%define debug_package %{nil}
%define __os_install_post /usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress

First line disables building of separate -debuginfo packages (default on
Red Hat 9). Second line cuts down on the default post-installation steps
(normally, there are four in stead of the one above), so that it only
boils down to compression of man-pages.

I also recommend adding the following two lines right after the "%build"
line, just before the "%configure ..."-line:
export CFLAGS=""
export CXXFLAGS=""

These two lines will unset whatever optimization environment variables
which might be part of the global environment.

Of course, I hope that such anti-optimization steps are not part of the
production-RPMs.

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Cannot build latest CVS

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Troels Arvin wrote:

>Hello,
>
>On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 14:38, Dave Page wrote:
>

>>There was a new update to the wx tarball this morning, though
>>Jean-Michel may not have produced RPMs yet. You need the -4 version
>>which is on Snake in tar.bz2 format.
>>

>OK; thanks. I'll build a new set of RPMS locally.
>
>As long as pgadmin3 is so dependent on certain changes in wxWindows,
>then wouldn't it be nice to keep the needed patch(es) somewhere in
>pgadmin3's CVS tree?

We have the patches directory under
http://snake.pgadmin.org/snapshots/wxwindows/patches, which includes all
the stuff needed for a working wxWindows. This is nothing for pgadmin cvs.

>- For example a patch agains current wxWindows CVS HEAD?

This would rise the problems to the power of 3 or 4....

We're glad we have a wx snapshot that's working for all needed platforms
now. Besides, all fixes should apply to head also.
Certainly, it would be a good idea if those patches would go into wx cvs
head. You can check the (non-)progress on SourceForge, look at the case
numbers in readme-patches.txt.

Regards,
Andreas