XRC Editting

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi Andreas,

How are you editting XRC's these days? It's painful in XRCed as it
doesn't like the new sizing units. Any tips - I'm working (slowly) on
filtering/sorting in the edit grid.

On that note, recent builds are creating very large widgets for me on XP
- Hiroshi mentioned a similar problem on 2K.

Regards, Dave.

Re: XRC Editting

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

>Hi Andreas,
>
>How are you editting XRC's these days? It's painful in XRCed as it
>doesn't like the new sizing units. Any tips - I'm working (slowly) on
>filtering/sorting in the edit grid.

I already posted a bug on that, with no answer for two weeks.
I'm testing this with pgAdmin3 itself; no need to restart it if compiled
for debugging.

>On that note, recent builds are creating very large widgets for me on XP
>- Hiroshi mentioned a similar problem on 2K.

ctor sysSettings reads the wxSYS_ICONTITLE_FONT, grabbing the font
you're using on the desktop. In mostly any case, the dialog calculation
should be correct anyway (I found the exception of the windows
extralarge font, which reports wrong metrics...) I didn't make this
changeable, do we need that?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: XRC Editting

From
"Dave Page"

Oh yes, so you can :-)

It also seems the you can get around it by simply removing the d from
the dialogue size, and temporarily doubling the size values. It's only
the d on the dialogue it doesn't like which the message doesn't make
clear.

> >On that note, recent builds are creating very large widgets
> for me on
> >XP
> >- Hiroshi mentioned a similar problem on 2K.
> >

> ctor sysSettings reads the wxSYS_ICONTITLE_FONT, grabbing the
> font you're using on the desktop. In mostly any case, the
> dialog calculation should be correct anyway (I found the
> exception of the windows extralarge font, which reports wrong
> metrics...) I didn't make this changeable, do we need that?

We definately need something as there are at least 2 systems on which it
doesn't work well. I don't know about Hiroshi's system, but it looked
like it was probably standrd w2k fonts, and mine is certainly standard
XP fonts.

Regards, Dave.

Re: XRC Editting

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

>>I already posted a bug on that, with no answer for two weeks.
>>I'm testing this with pgAdmin3 itself; no need to restart it
>>if compiled for debugging.
>>

>Oh yes, so you can :-)
>
>It also seems the you can get around it by simply removing the d from
>the dialogue size, and temporarily doubling the size values. It's only
>the d on the dialogue it doesn't like which the message doesn't make
>clear.

But that's dangerous, you could forget to recalc it.

>We definately need something as there are at least 2 systems on which it
>doesn't work well. I don't know about Hiroshi's system, but it looked
>like it was probably standrd w2k fonts, and mine is certainly standard
>XP fonts.

So what's your icon font?
in wx/src/msw/settings.cpp (one of my patches) around line 255 the font
is read from the system
SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETICONTITLELOGFONT, sizeof(lf), &lf, 0);
This should be your desktop font. On my W2K it works as expected. What's
the returned logfont looking like on your system?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: XRC Editting

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Mercredi 15 Octobre 2003 16:04, Dave Page a écrit :
> We definately need something as there are at least 2 systems on which it
> doesn't work well.

Three systems. See my screenshot under Debian here:
http://snake.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/shot.png

I contacted Raphaël who does not have the same problem.

Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: XRC Editting

From
"Dave Page"

Not really. Double size is so much bigger that you wouldn't fail to
notice whilst testing the code.

> So what's your icon font?

8 point Tahoma

> in wx/src/msw/settings.cpp (one of my patches) around line
> 255 the font is read from the system
> SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETICONTITLELOGFONT, sizeof(lf),
> &lf, 0); This should be your desktop font. On my W2K it works
> as expected. What's the returned logfont looking like on your system?

Not sure what you mean. lf has a value of -11...

Regards, Dave.

Re: XRC Editting

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
That's very standard.

>>in wx/src/msw/settings.cpp (one of my patches) around line
>>255 the font is read from the system
>>SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETICONTITLELOGFONT, sizeof(lf),
>>&lf, 0); This should be your desktop font. On my W2K it works
>>as expected. What's the returned logfont looking like on your system?
>>

>Not sure what you mean. lf has a value of -11...

Yes, that's Microsoft. lf.leHeight is -(fontsize+3). lfFaceName should
be Tahoma, right?
This should be used throughout the app (except for menu and caption,
which use individual font settings from the "desktop appearance"
settings). Does your app behave correctly if you change your desktop font?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: XRC Editting

From
Raphaël Enrici
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Le Mercredi 15 Octobre 2003 16:04, Dave Page a écrit :
>

>>We definately need something as there are at least 2 systems on which it
>>doesn't work well.
>>

>Three systems. See my screenshot under Debian here:
>http://snake.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/shot.png
>
>I contacted Raphaël who does not have the same problem.

Hi all,
I've just tried more testing, here is what is goin'on :
I have three different build environments, stable, testing and unstable.
These three build environments correspond to the three actual debian
distributions and are just chrooted environment with all packages up to
date regarding the debian release.

My display environment (another host), is something between stable and
testing one with X well configured and Gnome 2.2. I have no problem at
all on this host when using pga3 locally.

When I chroot to the "stable build env" and launch pgadmin3, it runs
well and I have no font problem but some messages in the background:
** (pgadmin3:9429): WARNING **: Couldn't load font "Arial 10" falling
back to "Sans 10"

(Arial 10 is my actual default font for Gnome 2.2 desktop)

When I chroot to the "unstable build env" and launch pgadmin3, I have no
warning and it appears "differently"... It's more "basic" (less nice to
look at). If I go in "preferences" menu after setting fr_FR as the
locale for pgadmin, everything is ok but one word is cut in the last
line... As far as I understand, everything has changed in debian
unstable, fonts are managed in "pango" and I don't know anything about it.
I'll document myself and try to understand what's going on.

What I don't understand well is why fonts seem now managed by
applications (may be wx) and not by the X server itself.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need more information or more testing.

Regards,
Raphaël

Re: XRC Editting

From
Raphaël Enrici
Date:
Raphaël Enrici wrote:

> Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
>

> When I chroot to the "unstable build env" and launch pgadmin3, I have
> no warning and it appears "differently"... It's more "basic" (less
> nice to look at). If I go in "preferences" menu after setting fr_FR as
> the locale for pgadmin, everything is ok but one word is cut in the
> last line... As far as I understand, everything has changed in debian
> unstable, fonts are managed in "pango" and I don't know anything about
> it.
> I'll document myself and try to understand what's going on.

I worte "pango" but wanted to write *defoma*...

regards,
Raphaël

Re: XRC Editting

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I just noticed that I left a define that made sysSettings compilable
with older wx versions in the source, effectively disabling font
detection under MSW.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: XRC Editting

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Le Mercredi 15 Octobre 2003 16:04, Dave Page a écrit :
>

>>We definately need something as there are at least 2 systems on which it
>>doesn't work well.
>>

>Three systems. See my screenshot under Debian here:
>http://snake.pgadmin.org/jean-michel/shot.png
>
>I contacted Raphaël who does not have the same problem.

This bad appearance wouldn't be fixed by the possibility to select the font.
The dialog units are not correctly translated to pixels, which must be a
problem with the reported font metrics. This would mean that
a) the system reports wrong values (e.g. under msw, when selecting
Tahoma.12; 11 and 13 will be ok) or
b) there's still a wrong calculation in wx

In this case, obviously the reported height is completely wrong. Could
you have a debugger look at gtk/window.cpp line 3327 ff, where the
height is retrieved from Pango?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: XRC Editting

From
Andreas Pflug

> In this case, obviously the reported height is completely wrong. Could
> you have a debugger look at gtk/window.cpp line 3327 ff, where the
> height is retrieved from Pango?

Forgot to mention:
If debug logging is enabled, the used font metrics (average size of
char) is logged from frmMain constructor. Please check if that looks ok.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: XRC Editting

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Andreas.

From: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>

Hmm...
It seems to me problem goes on.
I was while this problem was being examined.
However,
I doesn't have material to discuss clearly with you still.
Time is a little more necessary...

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: XRC Editting

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Hiroshi

Please don't feel you have to find the cause of problems before you
report them. Whilst we're in development, I think a policy of 'you break
it, you fix it' is appropriate!

In other words, whoever is responsible for introducing the error should
take the responsibility of tracking it down and fixing it. Of course,
there's no reason that person couldn't ask for help as required...

Regards, Dave.

Re: XRC Editting

From
"Dave Page"

OK, that gives the correct font in the app, but makes no change to the
sizing at all (see attachment).

Regards, Dave.

Attachment

Re: XRC Editting

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:

From: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>

>Hi Hiroshi
>
> Please don't feel you have to find the cause of problems before you
> report them. Whilst we're in development, I think a policy of 'you break
> it, you fix it' is appropriate!
>
> In other words, whoever is responsible for introducing the error should
> take the responsibility of tracking it down and fixing it. Of course,
> there's no reason that person couldn't ask for help as required...

Ah..Sorry.
I understand the thing that you say.

I have followed two more problems since last week.
One is discussed now.
http://cre-ent.skcapi.co.jp/~saito/pgadmin3/20030922_2.jpg
http://cre-ent.skcapi.co.jp/~saito/pgadmin3/20031007_2.jpg

One more is a permeation problem.
(It is Japanese Windows-XP Only)
http://cre-ent.skcapi.co.jp/~saito/pgadmin3/wxWindows-20031010-problem.jpg

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: XRC Editting

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
This is how it looks if the sizes/positions are *not* created with the
trailing 'd'.
With my "font inheritance" patch, the fonts will be set according to the
desktop font, apparently this succeeds on your system. The Dialog Unit
sizing (in contrast to pixel sizing) didn't need any patch, so the only
reason for failure would be a wrong xrc resource.
Maybe xrcDialogs.cpp wasn't up-to-date (I just created a new), was this
snapshot taken from a release build?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: XRC Editting

From
"Dave Page"

Nope, cvs tip, just updated to get your sysSettings ctor fix:

Regards Dave.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<resource>
  <object class="wxDialog" name="frmConnect">
    <title>Connect to a Server</title>
    <size>205,130d</size>

YSTEM_MENU</style>
    <object class="wxStaticText" name="lblDescription">
      <label>Description</label>
      <pos>5,7d</pos>
    </object>
    <object class="wxTextCtrl" name="txtDescription">
      <pos>70,5d</pos>
      <size>130,12d</size>
      <tooltip>Enter a description of this database
connection.</tooltip>
    </object>
    <object class="wxStaticText" name="lblServer">
      <label>Server</label>
      <pos>5,22d</pos>
    </object>
    <object class="wxTextCtrl" name="txtServer">
      <pos>70,20d</pos>
      <size>130,12d</size>
      <tooltip>Enter the hostname or IP address of the server to connect
to.</tooltip>
    </object>
    <object class="wxStaticText" name="lblPort">
      <label>Port</label>
      <pos>5,37d</pos>
    </object>
    <object class="wxTextCtrl" name="txtPort">
      <value>5432</value>
      <pos>70,35d</pos>
      <size>26,12d</size>
      <tooltip>Enter the port number that the server is listening
on.</tooltip>
    </object>
    <object class="wxStaticText" name="lblSSL">
      <label>SSL</label>
      <pos>100,37d</pos>
    </object>
    <object class="wxComboBox" name="cbSSL">
      <content/>
      <selection>0</selection>
      <pos>120,35d</pos>
      <size>80,12d</size>
    </object>
    <object class="wxStaticText" name="lblDatabase">
      <label>Initial database</label>
      <pos>5,52d</pos>
    </object>
    <object class="wxTextCtrl" name="txtDatabase">
      <value>template1</value>
      <pos>70,50d</pos>
      <size>130,12d</size>
      <tooltip>Enter the name of the database on the server to use to
make the initial connection. Normally this will be template1.</tooltip>
    </object>
    <object class="wxStaticText" name="lblUsername">
      <label>Username</label>
      <pos>5,67d</pos>
    </object>
    <object class="wxTextCtrl" name="txtUsername">
      <pos>70,65d</pos>
      <size>130,12d</size>
      <tooltip>Enter the username to use when connecting to the
server.</tooltip>
    </object>
    <object class="wxStaticText" name="lblTrusted">
      <label>Trusted</label>
      <pos>5,82d</pos>
    </object>
    <object class="wxCheckBox" name="chkTrusted">
      <label></label>
      <checked>0</checked>
      <pos>70,82d</pos>
    </object>
    <object class="wxStaticText" name="lblPassword">
      <label>Password</label>
      <pos>5,97d</pos>
    </object>
    <object class="wxTextCtrl" name="txtPassword">
      <pos>70,95d</pos>
      <size>130,12d</size>
      <tooltip>Enter the password to use when connecting to the
server.</tooltip>
    </object>
    <object class="wxButton" name="btnHelp">
      <label>&Help</label>
      <pos>2,112d</pos>
      <size>50,15d</size>
    </object>
    <object class="wxButton" name="btnOK">
      <label>&OK</label>
      <default>1</default>
      <pos>97,112d</pos>
      <size>50,15d</size>
    </object>
    <object class="wxButton" name="btnCancel">
      <label>&Cancel</label>
      <default>0</default>
      <pos>150,112d</pos>
      <size>50,15d</size>