pgAdmin3 icon under RPM platform

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Dear friends,

I know this was discussed before, but I did not have the time to read all mail
in August. The RPM snapshots for RedHat, Mandrake and SuSE should now have an
icon (some are still rebuilding, do not downlad them 'right' now...). There
are several issues:

1) make install
In the spec file I added the following lines under %install:

cp ./src/include/images/elephant48.xpm
%{buildroot}/%{_datadir}/%{name}/%{name}.xpm

cp ./pkg/redhat/%{name}.desktop
%{buildroot}/%{_datadir}/%{name}/%{name}.desktop

Could it be done by make install by default. At least for the elephant48.xpm.
The installation of pgadmin3.desktop seems more problematic.

2) pgAdmin3 installation paths

It seems that Slackaware installation paths are not the same as RedHat,
Mandrake and SuSE. I don't know about Debian and FreeBSD.

Under RPM platforms, the paths are as follows:
/usr/bin/pgadmin3
/usr/share/applications
/usr/share/pgadmin3
/usr/share/pgadmin3/docs
/usr/share/pgadmin3/docs/en_US
/usr/share/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/bugreport.html
/usr/share/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/connect.html
/usr/share/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/cvs.html
/usr/share/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/editgrid.html
/usr/share/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/export.html
/usr/share/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/freebsd_notes.html
/usr/share/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/images
etc...

This (Slackware?) issue prevents us from providing a single pgadmin3.desktop
file. I am right or wrong?

3) Icon place
Under RPM platforms, pgAdmin3 icon can be found under Application/Development.
It appears near KDevelop, EMacs, etc... There is no "database" entry by
default, therefore I did not create one. To me, the icon seems quite visible
in Application/Development.

Any comments and help are welcome.
Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin3 icon under RPM platform

From
"Dave Page"

Actually it can probably change - I don't see any reason why it has to
go under /usr/local/pgadmin3 - and as far as I've found there are no
published Slackware standards.

Any objections to me moving it?

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin3 icon under RPM platform

From
"Adam H. Pendleton"
Dave Page wrote:

>Any objections to me moving it?

No objections here.

ahp

Re: pgAdmin3 icon under RPM platform

From
Raphaël Enrici
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
Not at all. I think that RH/MDK/SUSE just like debian are commited to
the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-filesystem-fhs.html

It would surely be a good thing if you tried to install things like that.

Regards,

Raphaël

Re: pgAdmin3 icon under RPM platform

From
"Dave Page"

OK, done. Note that I am currently using the pgadmin3.desktop file under /pkg/slackware. If that's suitable for
everyone,then we can move it up a directory (and update the various scripts that install it).

Regards, Dave.

Date:
Le Jeudi 11 Septembre 2003 22:16, vous avez écrit :
> OK, done. Note that I am currently using the pgadmin3.desktop file under
> /pkg/slackware. If that's suitable for everyone, then we can move it up a
> directory (and update the various scripts that install it).

Dear friends,

Very nice. This will allow me to drop mine in pkg/redhat.

Also, could pgadmin3 icon be installed during "make install" in
/usr/share/pgadmin3/pgadmin3.xpm? I don't think the installation belongs to
the spec file.

Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin3 icon under RPM platform

From
"Dave Page"

Yes, I wanted to do that, but wasn't sure how to do the rename. Is it possible Adam, or should we rename the file in
CVS?(I'd rather not call it elephant48.xpm in case it gets changed in the future).

Regards, Dave.

Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Le Jeudi 11 Septembre 2003 22:16, vous avez écrit :
>

>>OK, done. Note that I am currently using the pgadmin3.desktop file under
>>/pkg/slackware. If that's suitable for everyone, then we can move it up a
>>directory (and update the various scripts that install it).
>>

>Dear friends,
>Very nice. This will allow me to drop mine in pkg/redhat.
>Also, could pgadmin3 icon be installed during "make install" in
>/usr/share/pgadmin3/pgadmin3.xpm? I don't think the installation belongs to
>the spec file.

Jean-Michel,
as ".desktop" files can (should) be localized, would it be easy to get a
translation of this file in the future ?

regards,
Raphaël

Re: pgAdmin3 icon under RPM platform

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Raphael,

The translation in desktop files is handled internally:

For example, where we have:

Comment=PostgreSQL Tools

we can localise it as

Comment[en]=PostgreSQL Tools
Comment[fr]=Outils De PostgreSQL
Comment[es]=Herramientas De PostgreSQL
Comment[ja]=PostgreSQL 用具

and so on (please excuse the Babelfish translations if they're incorrect!)

Regards, Dave.

Date:
Le Vendredi 12 Septembre 2003 00:01, vous avez écrit :
> Jean-Michel,
> as ".desktop" files can (should) be localized, would it be easy to get a
> translation of this file in the future ?

Dear Raphaël,

Under RedHat 9.0, the icon installs into "Development" ("Programmation" in
French) very well, without the need for a translation. It seems that the name
of the application and comments can also be translated.

The problem is that the .desktop file must be maintained by hand with
copy/paste (like we do with the list of languages). I don't have a clear idea
whether it is worth doing it. "Pgadmin III" and "PostgreSQL tools" seem clear
enough.

As usual, I may be wrong as I do not know many things about Desktop-Utils. If
there are clear reasons why we should translate it, why not... What do you
think?

Date:
Le Vendredi 12 Septembre 2003 09:20, Dave Page a écrit :
> Comment=PostgreSQL Tools
> Comment[en]=PostgreSQL Tools
> Comment[fr]=Outils De PostgreSQL
> Comment[es]=Herramientas De PostgreSQL
> Comment[ja]=PostgreSQL 用具

It seems like the comments are the only translations needed. What do you
decide, shall we do it? Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin3 icon under RPM platform

From
"Dave Page"

There's no reason why we should not that I can think of - it's only 1 line of text after all!!

Regards, Dave.

Date:
Le Vendredi 12 Septembre 2003 10:10, Dave Page a écrit :
> There's no reason why we should not that I can think of - it's only 1 line
> of text after all!!

This is agreed for me.

We should move up your file to have only one  desktop file. I will begin to
add translations shortly and contact translators. Also, we need to modify the
howto to ask for the translation at registration time.

Cheers, Jean-Michel