OpenOffice HTML design

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Dear Andreas,

OpenOffice was used to design/modify web pages.
For example, snapshots.html used to start with:

<link rel="STYLESHEET" type="text/css" href="pgadmin3.css">

It seems that OpenOffice changed the design of the page:

1) The css style sheet was removed.

    <META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <TITLE>pgAdmin3 CVS snapshots</TITLE>
    <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="OpenOffice.org 1.1  (Win32)">
    <META NAME="CREATED" CONTENT="20030716;11392547">
    <META NAME="CHANGEDBY" CONTENT="Andreas Pflug">
    <META NAME="CHANGED" CONTENT="20030716;11393124">
    <STYLE>

It is being replaced with several <P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0cm"></P>, etc...

2) Furthermore, font colour being added (automatically?):
<P>Sorry, we do not provide development packages in GNU/Slackware
    9.0. If you want to contribute pgAdmin3 projects or simply compile
    from source, you need a recent GNU/Linux distribution with wxGTK 2.5
    CVS libraries, header files and contributed libraries compiled from
    source. <FONT COLOR="#000000">This is actually very straightforward
    on Slackware 9 as all dependencies should already be installed. You
    should find that the <A HREF="unix_compilation.html">compilation
    instructions</A> detail the exact steps required.</FONT></P>

3) Did you try TextPad for Windows (http://www.textpad.com). It supports UTF-8
file format. No need to use windows-1252 or HTML encoding.

Do you think we could come back to the old style sheet? What do you think?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: OpenOffice HTML design

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Dear Andreas,
>
>OpenOffice was used to design/modify web pages.
>For example, snapshots.html used to start with:

><link rel="STYLESHEET" type="text/css" href="pgadmin3.css">
>
>It seems that OpenOffice changed the design of the page:
>
>1) The css style sheet was removed.
>
>    <META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
>    <TITLE>pgAdmin3 CVS snapshots</TITLE>
>    <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="OpenOffice.org 1.1  (Win32)">
>    <META NAME="CREATED" CONTENT="20030716;11392547">
>    <META NAME="CHANGEDBY" CONTENT="Andreas Pflug">
>    <META NAME="CHANGED" CONTENT="20030716;11393124">
>    <STYLE>
>
>It is being replaced with several <P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0cm"></P>, etc...
>
>2) Furthermore, font colour being added (automatically?):
><P>Sorry, we do not provide development packages in GNU/Slackware
>    9.0. If you want to contribute pgAdmin3 projects or simply compile
>    from source, you need a recent GNU/Linux distribution with wxGTK 2.5
>    CVS libraries, header files and contributed libraries compiled from
>    source. <FONT COLOR="#000000">This is actually very straightforward
>    on Slackware 9 as all dependencies should already be installed. You
>    should find that the <A HREF="unix_compilation.html">compilation
>    instructions</A> detail the exact steps required.</FONT></P>
>
>3) Did you try TextPad for Windows (http://www.textpad.com). It supports UTF-8
>file format. No need to use windows-1252 or HTML encoding.
>
>Do you think we could come back to the old style sheet? What do you think?

Hi Jean-Michel,

all I want is to hack in the text and see the styles as expected. I
tried several tools, and found that OOo seemed to make the best for
wxhtmlhelp at first glance. Writing docs is really not the stuff I'm
particularly fond of, formatting even less, and formatting the
non-visible source is...
So if Dave and you agree on a tool to use, I don't mind (as long as it
is *not* vi). I just want to deliver content.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: OpenOffice HTML design

From
"Dave Page"

Vi was actually a joke, but I do code the HTML by hand (using
Programmers File Editor usually) - that's one of the reasons I keep it
simple.

Regards, Dave.

Re: OpenOffice HTML design

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
On Thursday 17 July 2003 17:48, Dave Page wrote:
> Vi was actually a joke, but I do code the HTML by hand (using
> Programmers File Editor usually) - that's one of the reasons I keep it
> simple.

Dear all,

I just viewed the translation_team.html page. OpenOffice destroyed some
important content like page title:

Re: OpenOffice HTML design

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Sorry, here is the complete message:

On Thursday 17 July 2003 17:48, Dave Page wrote:
> Vi was actually a joke, but I do code the HTML by hand (using
> Programmers File Editor usually) - that's one of the reasons I keep it
> simple.

Dear Friends,

I just viewed the translation_team.html page. OpenOffice modified some
important content. For example, the TITLE is not "Translation Steps" :

<HTML>
<HEAD>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <TITLE>Translation steps</TITLE>
    <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="OpenOffice.org 1.1  (Win32)">
    <META NAME="CREATED" CONTENT="20030716;12590216">
    <META NAME="CHANGEDBY" CONTENT="Andreas Pflug">
    <META NAME="CHANGED" CONTENT="20030716;12590991">
    <STYLE>

Also, OpenOffice does not support style sheets. This will be a problem when we
publish HTML pages on the web. I don't like to see code modified
automatically. OpenOffice can be used for productivity, not for web page
design.

There are so many nice editors under GNU/Linux and Windows:
- Quanta Plus (GNU/Linux)
- Bluefish (GNU/Linux)
- Kate (part of KDE3)
- Dreamweaver (Win32, wron't destroy your HTML code)
- PhpEdit (http://www.phpedit.com, Free)
- UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com, Freeware)
- TextPad (http://www.textpad.com, Freeware)

I plan to migrate some HTML pages to PHP Gettext to submit a new version of
pgAdmin website to the team.

The pages involved are:
- translation_*.html
- snapshots.html

Would it be possible not to use OpenOffice with these pages, as I will migrate
them to PHP. Can we confirm this?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: OpenOffice HTML design

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Sorry, here is the complete message:
>
>On Thursday 17 July 2003 17:48, Dave Page wrote:
>

>>Vi was actually a joke, but I do code the HTML by hand (using
>>Programmers File Editor usually) - that's one of the reasons I keep it
>>simple.
>>

>Dear Friends,
>
>I just viewed the translation_team.html page. OpenOffice modified some
>important content. For example, the TITLE is not "Translation Steps" :

I see the title displayed as "Translation Steps".
I intentionally used OOo to remove stylesheets and have bgcolor put
directly into it, because it didn't show up in htmlview. Whatever you
do, check it is compatible with htmlview, as implemented by wx. And
online help that displays everywhere but in the program it belongs to is
dull.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: OpenOffice HTML design

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
On Friday 18 July 2003 10:29, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> I intentionally used OOo to remove stylesheets and have bgcolor put
> directly into it, because it didn't show up in htmlview. Whatever you
> do, check it is compatible with htmlview, as implemented by wx. And
> online help that displays everywhere but in the program it belongs to is
> dull.

Dear Andreas,

The page "translation_team.html" has title "<TITLE>Translation steps</TITLE>".

Before discussing further, I am installing OpenOffice HTML designer to try to
understand your point of view. The question at stake here is not imposing
one's point of view, but understanding each other.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel