CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW / TRIGGER

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Dear community, dear friends,

I know it is feature freeze, so forgive me for this (ancien) question : would
it possible to add CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW and CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER in
current PostgreSQL 7.2 release? Otherwise, it will take another year before
these long-needed features are added.

Is this really a difficult hack?

If not possible, we will be obliged to hack pgAdmin II to add virtual create
/ drop statements. And hack it back when the features are added natively to
PostgreSQL. This is not the way we should do it.

Please help :)

There can be up to 4000 download of pgAdmin a month. If pgAdmin II were
published on public download sites, possibly bundled with a Cygwin PostgreSQL
installer, the number could easily reach 10.000 a month. Maybe more.

So please consider CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW / TRIGGER are important features
for 7.2, not 7.3.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: [HACKERS] CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW / TRIGGER

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Dear community, dear friends,
>
> I know it is feature freeze, so forgive me for this (ancien) question : would
> it possible to add CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW and CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER in
> current PostgreSQL 7.2 release? Otherwise, it will take another year before
> these long-needed features are added.
>
> Is this really a difficult hack?

    If  difficult  or not doesn't matter. It is not the way we do
    development in the PostgreSQL team.

    We are  right  now  in  BETA5  and  Release  Candidate  1  is
    scheduled  for  tomorrow.  Plus  v7.2 is overdue, long waited
    for.

    No chance, sorry. v7.2 will go out  the  door  without  these
    features.   But  you are more than welcome to provide patches
    for v7.3 that implement them.

Jan

Re: [ADMIN] CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW / TRIGGER

Date:
Jean-Michel POURE <jm.poure@freesurf.fr> writes:
> I know it is feature freeze, so forgive me for this (ancien) question : would
> it possible to add CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW and CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER in
> current PostgreSQL 7.2 release?

No.  RC1 is *tomorrow*, and we're not pushing it back to add features.

> Otherwise, it will take another year before
> these long-needed features are added.

I'd like to ask people not to adopt the mindset that PG releases are a
year apart.  I know it's been that way for the last two, but the project
goals are still to have a release every four-to-six months.  If we go
into the development cycle with the notion that the next release is a
year out, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

            regards, tom lane