Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>> It's OK in pg_start_backup(), but seems NG in pg_stop_backup() since
>>> it waits until some WAL files have been archived by the archiver. No?
>>
>> Good point, that logic would need to be changed too. Should it simply
>> return immediately if archive_mode=off?
>
> What if we wrongly set archive_mode to on and wal_mode to minimal?
> I think that checking XLogArchivingActive() in pg_stop_backup() is
> adequate.

That case should be rejected at primary startup.

>>> Even if we do only archive recovery, XLogRequestRecoveryConnections
>>> might be TRUE. Or we need to ensure that the recovery_connection is
>>> FALSE in the postgresql.conf before starting archive recovery?
>>
>> Umm, yes, if you have recovery_connnections=on, it means you want hot
>> standby. And for that you need wal_mode='hot_standby'.
>
> Since the default value of recovery_connections is TRUE, I think that
> the trouble which I encountered would often happen. We should disable
> recovery_connections by default? Furthermore should move it from
> postgresql.conf to recovery.conf?
>
> On the other hand, I feel that recovery_connections=on in an archive
> recovery is valid configuration *until* any read only connections are
> requested. How about moving the above check to postmaster or backend?

Or just not starting recovery connections, but still doing archive
recovery?  I think in this case a WARNING might be adequate.

...Robert