Re: Wierd quirk of HS/SR, probably not fixable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Wierd quirk of HS/SR, probably not fixable
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 12:25 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Fujii Masao wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> > <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >> Hmm, we could throw an error in the standby, when we see a shutdown
> >> checkpoint while we're waiting for an end-backup record. If the database
> >> was shut down before pg_stop_backup(), we know that the backup was
> >> cancelled and the end-backup record we're waiting for will never arrive.
> >
> > Sounds good. This would work fine even if an immediate shutdown is done
> > instead since the primary ends up generating a shutdown checkpoint record
> > when restarting.
>
> Yep. I've committed a patch to do that.

We should be able to do this earlier in the run.

If pg_stop_backup() is run it creates the .backup file in the archive.
In the absence of that file, we should be able to work out that
pg_stop_backup() was not run. Almost, because we support starting
recovery without need to run start/stop backup. If we introduced a
special option for that in recovery.conf it would be much simpler to
fail if the file were unavailable.