best way to implement producer/consumer in Perl - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject best way to implement producer/consumer in Perl
Date
List pgsql-general
I've got an application that creates work and posts the work requests
to a table.  Each work request is just a single row in the table.
I've also got two systems that do the work based on the requests in
the table.

It seems that ideally, I could use the LISTEN/NOTIFY features to tell
the consumers when there is work.  However, what I really need is a
blocking LISTEN.  That is, it just sits there until it gets a NOTIFY.

Right now, the consumer checks for work every so often, and most of
the time finds none.

What's the best way to implement such a thing in Perl?  Is there a
blocking LISTEN?

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/