RE: Joining more than 2 tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Meeks
Subject RE: Joining more than 2 tables
Date
List pgsql-general
    What I am looking for is a query that will return a list of id's with a
sum from table b and a sum from table c like this:

        id    name    sum(b)        sum(a)
        1    shell     34         50
        2    jeff     40         20

Thanks
Jeff Meeks
jmeekssr@net-serv.com

P.S. Sorry for sending the reply to you directly Peter I wasn't paying
attention when I hit
the send key

Jeff Meeks writes:

>       I am trying to join 3 tables
> with this query
>       select a.id, a.name, sum(b.qty), sum(c.qty)
>       from a, b, c
>       where a.id=xxx and b.id=a.id and c.id=a.id
>
> what the sums that get returned look as if they are a cross products of
> the b and c tables.

It's hard to tell what you want to happen, but perhaps you want two
separate queries:

select a.id, a.name, sum(b.qty) from a, b where a.id=xxx and b.id=a.id
group by a.id, a.name;

and the same with 'c' in place of 'b'.