Re: About referential integrity. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: About referential integrity.
Date
List pgsql-sql
David,

> Anyway, couldn't it be an extention to postgreSQL ? If you have heard
>  about
> Business Objects, you should know that it can do it very well
>  provided you
> draw the relationchips between the tables of your database. And it's
>  of much
> use, since you just have to concentrate on the fields you want to
>  fetch and
> the program takes care of the relations and handles group by, order
>  by and
> where clause.

Certainly it could.  However, the project needs a really persuasivereason to transgress the SQL standard.  That is,
substantialfuncitonalityneeds to be gained from the extension, sufficient tooffset the issues raised with porting
applicationsto and fromPostgresql.

However, there appears to be a way to give you what you want withoutviolating the standard:  we could make Natural Join
workforforiegn-keyed columns, not just columns with similar names. This wouldgive us some useful funcitionality without
breakingthe standard.

I understand from Stephan that there is some technical problem withthis, but we could add it to the TODO list, yes?

-Josh Berkus