Re: What do I do with this error? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: What do I do with this error?
Date
Re: What do I do with this error?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: What do I do with this error?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
Tom,
> Yes, I'd say so.  7.1 returns a NULL as expected ...

Er, Tom, I'm using 7.1.

Pgsql does return a null as expected when going from the command line.
However, if I call the regular expression from within a PL/pgSQL
function, it bombs.

Therefore, please forward to pgsql-bugs:

Bug Name: Regular Expressions with NULL error out in PL/pgSQL.
Can Reproduce: Reliably
Severity: Annoyance.
Location: PL/pgSQL / Function handler / SPI
Version: 7.1 beta 3

which compares a field. via regular expression, to a NULL variable, you
get a fatal error.

Example:

CREATE FUNCTION test1 () RETURNS INT4 AS
'DELCARE expression1 VARCHAR;return_value INT4;
BEGINexpression1 := NULL;SELECT id INTO return_valueFROM table1WHERE field2 ~* expression1;RETURN return_value;
END;

-Josh