Bug in Function-Transactions? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Josh Berkus
Subject Bug in Function-Transactions?
Date
Re: Bug in Function-Transactions?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
Folks,

I just encountered a very interesting bug in ver 7.2.1.

As an experiment, I tried running a VACCUUM ANALYZE on a table inside a
Function after the function had made a large number of updates to that
table.   I assumed that this wouldn't work, but I thought I'd give it a
try.

It did not work.  What it did was interesting.

Postgres terminated my back-end connection to the server when it
reached the VACUUM statement.

Next, I reconnected. I was quite surprised to discover that Postgres
had *not* rolled back the changes made by the function before it
crashed.

I'm testing to see if I can reproduce this issue on 7.3b1.   I'll
e-mail you with a test database if I can.

-Josh Berkus