Re: [SQL] Request for builtin function: Double_quote - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [SQL] Request for builtin function: Double_quote
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Chris, Tom:

Yes, thank you Chris, I meant a builtin SQL function.

> > Given the amount of qoute nesting we do in Postgres, I thought that
> we need a
> > function that handles automatic doubling of quotes within strings.
>   I've
> > written one in PL/pgSQL (below).  I'd really love to see this
> turned into a
> > builtin C function.
>
> What does this do that isn't already done by quote_literal?

Well, first off, quote_literal isn't in the documentation under
"Functions and Operators".    So this is the first I've heard about it
-- or probably anyone else outside the core team.   How long has it
been around?

Second, double_quote does not return the outside quotes, just the
inside ones ... it's for passing string values to EXECUTE statements. However, now that I know that quote_literal
exists,I can simplify

the double_quote statement considerably.

Therefore, I withdraw my initial request, and request instead that
quote_literal be added to the function documentation in String
Functions and Operators.

I will event supply text for the functions table:

function            returns
quote_literal(string text)    text

explain
Returns the entire string passed to it, including quote marks.  Useful
for nesting quotes, such as in the EXECUTEing dynamic queries.

example            result
quote_literal('O''Reilly')    'O''Reilly'

-Josh Berkus

-Josh Berkus