Re: Variables. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Variables.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Aasmund,

> I do not know whether it is  part of the SQL standard.
>
> Variables...

Nope.

> CREATE VARIABLE foobar INTEGER DEFAULT 1 NOT NULL;
>
> SELECT * FROM thebar WHERE id = foobar;
>
> CREATE TEMPORARY VARIABLE...
> CREATE CONSTANT....

Extensive support for a variety of variable types and constructions is
available in FUNCTIONS.  PL/pgSQL, PL/TCL, PL/Perl ... take your pick.

For the raw command-line SQL, variables, constants, and other procedural
language elements are not appropriate.  This is best done in procedures,
functions, and middleware.

Of course, it is an Open-Source project, so if you hire your own
programmer, you can do anything you want.

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Attachment