Variables. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Aasmund Midttun Godal
Subject Variables.
Date
List pgsql-sql
I would really like a feature :)

I do not know whether it is  part of the SQL standard.

Variables...

e.g.

CREATE VARIABLE foobar INTEGER DEFAULT 1 NOT NULL;

SELECT * FROM thebar WHERE id = foobar;

CREATE TEMPORARY VARIABLE...
CREATE CONSTANT....

Basically all the functionality from the table columns (CHECK and REFERENCES...) and it must take any type, so that you
canuse user-created types as well.

SET foobar 3;

it could adopt properties from both runtime info and sequences...

My abilities in C, as in many other things is severely limited so I am asking someone else to do the dirtywork :). And
Ido appreciate that this may take some time.

It would be nice to have some sort of GRANT revoke SCHEME on it too...

I do acknowledge that this can be achieved with temporary and non temporary tables, but it can get ugly with these.

While I am at it I would highly suggest that there is some sort of SESSION_ID environment variable.

Some of the uses:

* Store things like personal  preferences
* Parameters from a webserver
* Client application name
* etc.

Aasmund Midttun Godal