Re: maximum parameters limit to function & manipulating array in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: maximum parameters limit to function & manipulating array in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-sql
Advid,

> Well I read one of ur solutions to sending more tham 16 parameters to
> a function in plpgsql. I have changed the value of FUNC_MAX_ARGS
> (a/k/a INDEX_MAX_KEYS) in \usr\local\plpgsql\include\config.h after
> stoping the postmaster service.
>  On restarting the service after having changed config.h I am atill
> experiencing the same problem. What should I do now?

Did you re-init PostgreSQL, and then re-build your database from a
pgdump file?  I believe that these steps are necessary as well.

> If I declare n as integer[3] it gives a compilation error. So I tried
> it as above. Can I do any array manipulations at all in plpgsql like
> assigning,copying etc values in to other arrays in plpgsql. If so how
> ??

No, you can't.  Array support in PL/pgSQL is quirky and not all the way
there.  Jan Wieck has instead been focusing on building CURSOR support
into PL/pgSQL so arrays are likely to be unevenly supported for some
time unless somebody else takes on the task.  Mind you, there have been
some proponents of dropping the array data type entirely as not
relational (it isn't) so I don't know where this feature is going.

Basically, you can declare an array as a parameter of a function, but
that's it.  You cannnot have array variables or retuurn types.

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Attachment