Re: Thoughts on pg_hba.conf rejection - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Thoughts on pg_hba.conf rejection
Date
Re: Thoughts on pg_hba.conf rejection  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Robert Haas escribió:
>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>> > The only way I can think of to improve that without going back to flat
>> > files would be to develop a way for backends to switch databases after
>> > initial startup, so that auth could be done in a predetermined database
>> > (say, "postgres") before switching to the requested DB.  This has enough
>> > potential gotchas, in regards to catalog caching for instance, that I'm
>> > not eager to go there.
>>
>> Would it be possible to set up a skeleton environment where we can
>> access shared catalogs only and then decide on which database we're
>> using later?
>
> Eh?  We already do that ... In fact the autovac launcher is always
> connected to shared catalogs, without being connected to any one
> database in particular (cf. get_database_list)

Oh.  Then I'm confused.  Tom said: "as of 9.0, it's necessary to
connect to some database in order to proceed with auth checking".  Why
is that necessary,  if we can access shared catalogs without it?

...Robert